Legal Junkies Forums

Legal Junkies Forums (http://www.legaljunkies.com/index.php)
-   Doing Business in China (http://www.legaljunkies.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   How can you find a reliable supplier in China (http://www.legaljunkies.com/showthread.php?t=15998)

responsy 10-04-2008 03:30 AM

How can you find a reliable supplier in China

I noticed there were so many posts in the forum about fraud, crook and how to find reliable supplier in China.

I'm from China, working and living in Shenzhen. Here are my advice,

1. Ask people who is dealing with you to email you their business registration certificate, or tax certificate. Any company who is legally registered in China must have these certificates, which are usually issued by the local government. Of course there certificates are in Chinese, if you don't understand Chinese, tell your supplier you have Chinese staff (or friend) who will verify according to these documents, then nobody dare to cheat you any more, I think.

If people can't provide these documents, they're either crooks or SOHO people. SOHO (small office home office) usually work at home, they have very few employee or just 1 person. Not all SOHO are unreliable, however, you take bigger risk of dealing with them than legally regsitered company;

2. Make a friend with Chinese people, who can give a hand when needed. Here is an international business forum in China, fobshanghai.com. In this forum you may find some friends who are in the international trade business field;

3. Use your common sense to judge. When you contact your Chinese supplier, firstly you can visit their company web to know more about them, most of time what you know from the company web is better than what they actually are. Reading their email to you, is the spelling correct? is the article / email signature at official format? Always remember, better company has better-educated staff;

4. Internet is widely used and greatly helps people in different countries doing business with each other. Everybody knows China offer low price. My opinion is, when you find the source in China, you've already got very low price comparing to buy from else where, in this term, select a partner who is reliable is more important than who offer lowest. Do NOT buy from the one with lowest price, but people who offer reasonable price and provide better service.

5. To a certain extent, I think Alibaba.com is a reliable source. Sellers there need to pay $10k or above for registration, and are requested to submit business registration certificate when applying for registration. In case you enounter fraud there, you can also complain with ALIBABA and ask for their help, they're not officials but they may have some good suggestion for you to deal with the fraud case.

If these advice are helpful for you to do business with China, I will feel very happy. Good luck, guys !

Unregistered 12-30-2008 08:37 AM

Re: How can you find a reliable supplier in China

BETTER GET A LAWYER SON, AND BETTER MAKE IT A GOOD ONE

Unregistered 02-16-2009 12:24 PM

Unfortunately I buy items from that company and I got ribbed off. I bout 10 GPS units for $1,150 and I got two old cell phones instead. I called them and emailed them, and of course no response.

the website they game me is:
www.vertshopping.net

Unfortunately also in the same time I got ripped of from another Chinese busniess. It's called Yifei Trading Co., Ltd. I order 10 sony Playstations and I got NOTHING. And of course phones and emails with no response.

the website they game me is:
yifeitrade

all these companies were in Business to Business (B2B) Marketplace - Manufacturers directory for international trade leads

I am currently in the process of collecting websites by contacting all those Chinese business from TRADEKY and I will forward those website to Internet Crime Complaint Center Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

May God Protects.

I have all the documentation if anybody is welling to help me and help humanity too.

Please email me at ashrafel@gmail.com if you want to help.

Ashraf

Unregistered 03-02-2009 01:21 AM

I recommend TradeKey...

Esmirisa 03-06-2009 06:04 AM

Thanks for the tips, really useful!

To add on, another B2B portal that is useful for finding reliable suppliers is Global Sources (http://www.globalsources.com).

They have a "verification system" that involves them visiting suppliers at least 3 times to ensure that the suppliers really exist.

And for a total peace of mind, buyers should also do some research on the suppliers like "goggling" them online to read up on the feedback.

And it will also be good to drop by sourcing fairs such as Canton Fair - China Import and Export Fair and China Sourcing Fairs - Trade Shows for China Products whereby you'll meet suppliers face-to-face and also get to see a huge array of products.

Hope that helps!

Unregistered 03-08-2009 11:49 AM

I also used global sources and really like them.

And it seems world law direct gives them a high rating. I emailed the world law lawyers and they seemed very positive on Global Sources. I had both groups confirm a supplier for me.

Singapore, Steve

yctp 03-27-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by responsy (Post 52862)
I noticed there were so many posts in the forum about fraud, crook and how to find reliable supplier in China.

I'm from China, working and living in Shenzhen. Here are my advice,

1. Ask people who is dealing with you to email you their business registration certificate, or tax certificate. Any company who is legally registered in China must have these certificates, which are usually issued by the local government. Of course there certificates are in Chinese, if you don't understand Chinese, tell your supplier you have Chinese staff (or friend) who will verify according to these documents, then nobody dare to cheat you any more, I think.

If people can't provide these documents, they're either crooks or SOHO people. SOHO (small office home office) usually work at home, they have very few employee or just 1 person. Not all SOHO are unreliable, however, you take bigger risk of dealing with them than legally regsitered company;

2. Make a friend with Chinese people, who can give a hand when needed. Here is an international business forum in China, fobshanghai.com. In this forum you may find some friends who are in the international trade business field;

3. Use your common sense to judge. When you contact your Chinese supplier, firstly you can visit their company web to know more about them, most of time what you know from the company web is better than what they actually are. Reading their email to you, is the spelling correct? is the article / email signature at official format? Always remember, better company has better-educated staff;

4. Internet is widely used and greatly helps people in different countries doing business with each other. Everybody knows China offer low price. My opinion is, when you find the source in China, you've already got very low price comparing to buy from else where, in this term, select a partner who is reliable is more important than who offer lowest. Do NOT buy from the one with lowest price, but people who offer reasonable price and provide better service.

5. To a certain extent, I think Alibaba.com is a reliable source. Sellers there need to pay $10k or above for registration, and are requested to submit business registration certificate when applying for registration. In case you enounter fraud there, you can also complain with ALIBABA and ask for their help, they're not officials but they may have some good suggestion for you to deal with the fraud case.

If these advice are helpful for you to do business with China, I will feel very happy. Good luck, guys !

I live and work in Beijing. I'm British and have been here for the past eight years.

Yes, some of the above seems to be good advice. However, as a Chinese person, as you seem to be from your English, you will also know that there is a huge market in fraudulent documents; such as company registration certificates. To pretend you don't know, when almost every person on the streets here knows, is plainly dishonest in itself; at best dishonest to yourself, and at worst, dishonest to any readers of this post.

And as to making friends with Chinese people particularly in a business forum such as fobshanghai.com (which seems to have been closed down - at least I can't access it from Beijing); then I would say, that greater care need be taken, as one is dealing with anonymous sources in a forum, and their motivations are their OWN.

Your fourth point regarding not buying from the lowest priced, rather from the best service, isn't valid either within the confines of this discussion; as one doesn't know who offers the best service unless one can find suitable references on them.

Consequently, I advise any prospective purchaser to require references from other foreign companies the prospective seller claims to have dealt with: name, address, telephone, and email addresses.

Regarding your point five, you state that because Alibaba requires 10K from its' SELLERS then they must be somehow reliable.

That too is a weak argument. Firstly the 10K you speak of is Chinese Renmin Bi, or Yuan; and which equates to roughly 1,463.57 USD, as of the day of this posting.

That is a small price to pay for the potential to scam tens and even hundreds of thousands from potential buyers. A small investment with a massive return. And an investment easily achievable by any half decent business person in China.

Regarding the complaints procedure which ALIBABA follows, it is weak at best, and at worst has a ZERO deterrent rate.

Moreover, ALIBABA virtually NEVER excludes companies from its' site even after complaints have been lodged, and the same is true of others such as TRADEKEY.

Don't believe me?

Go visit their forums, and see how many are complaining about monies lost, complaints made and registered, and inaction by ALIBABA to strike those companies off their lists.

For further information on protecting yourself when trading in China, please, view my previous response to the post:

http://www.legaljunkies.com/forumdoi...a-crookes.html

and which you'll find at number 6 in the list. I'm not sure why it has me as being UNREGISTERED, as I was registered at the time of posting. Still, it's there for you anyway.

All the best,

Ken Stone

Motor-City-Sports 04-05-2009 04:05 AM

I agree With Mr. Stone, I also am looking for a reliable Electroncs Supplier but have yet been able to find one and to be honest I am not sending funds to any one till I am Sure the supplier is reliable!

I went on Tradekey and Alibaba site 2 days ago looking for electronic deals & all I have received emails from are Suppliers from CHINA that do nothing but SCAM people, specially if you live in the USA and are looking for that great deal.

Their prices seem way to low to be real.

Also if they don't accept PAYPAL or Ship COD do not Buy from them because then you have no leverage when they rip you off. They are ripping people off left and right &Tradekey won't do crap!

These electronic Suppliers will give you a bunch of reason on why they cant take any payment except Western Union or Bank Transfers thats because their is no way to get your money back or find that person after they rip you off.

My suggestion is if the Supplier DOES NOT accept Either PAYPAL or Major Credit cards or deliver COD.

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!

Unregistered 04-08-2009 05:09 AM

I just recommend a supplier which I've used before: www.ownta.com

They accept paypal, and 100% reliable.

Ownta.com - Wholesale Dropshipping Leader | Drop Ship | Dropshippers

Alan 04-25-2009 11:19 AM

i recommend www.lookchem.com for chemicals.