Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
x10n

Unhappy I want to invalidate the lease so I can leave penalty free - Florida

Based on the following, Statutes & Constitution: View Statutes: >2007 >Ch0689 >Section 01: flsenate.gov

My lease is written for 13 months, and the landlord does not have two witness signatures, just one. The other signatures are my and my roommate's. There are things wrong with the apartment that I have complained about verbally and in writing multiple times that are still not being fixed. At this point I just want to invalidate the lease so I can leave penalty free, can anyone offer me some advice?
x10n is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: I want to invalidate the lease so I can leave penalty free - Florida

Another poster wrote you and told you this on your other thread:

"You simply need 2 witnesses per signature in Florida. If a lease is one day or more over a year, as is often seen with prorated rent plus 12 months, remember to have all parties sign in the presence of 2 witnesses. Notarization is not required!"

If this is the case and you, your roommate, and the LL signed the lease, it is valid. The other roommate and LL witnessed your signature. You and the LL witnessed the other roommate's signature. The two

I suggest you negotiate a lease break fee and get a written release.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: I want to invalidate the lease so I can leave penalty free - Florida

The last paragraph should read:
If this is the case and you, your roommate, and the LL signed the lease, it is valid. The other roommate and LL witnessed your signature. You and the LL witnessed the other roommate's signature. The two roommates witnessed the LL's signature. Two witnesses per signature.