•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spark
    • Apr 2012

Trademark registered brand name different owners and countries

if a Canadian company has a registered trademark brand in Canada,
    and there is a USA company with the same registered trademark name in the USA
    both selling simular products under thier brand name.

Can both companies sell thier simular trademark brand name products online using the same trademark name ?

example,Someone has the name Super k clothing and registered the trademark in the USA and thier website is Super k clothing.com

and in Canada someone has the name Super k clothing and registered the trademark in Canada and thier website is Super k clothing.ca

thanks in advance
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Trademark registered brand name different owners and countries

I wish to inform you that both the companies can sell their product online. Further if sale by company in Canada should not be in USA because then US Company can claim its trademark is being breached. Similarly US Company must not sell in Canada because then it may cause breach of trademark. Protection of trademark is within the national borders of the country unless international trademark under WIPO is not taken.

AFF

Comment

• Unregistered

The confusion in the law between trademarks and tradenames in Canada is rather universal and often costly. In my blogpost, I simplify the difference between the two. You can read all about it here: Trademarks vs. Trade Names. How trade-marks are different from tradenames in Canada. | Mincov Law Blog

Comment

• Lexus
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Sep 2010
        • United States

I would like to inform you that Trademark protection was once a country-by-country affair. But it is now possible for trademark holders to register their mark with many countries at once so their trademark has global-scale protection. You can research international trademarks in online databases.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

Do birds chirp or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...