USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

My money... help me understand this legal theft!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nurse
    • Apr 2015

My money... help me understand this legal theft!

My husband and I have been married for 2 years. He has 2 children that he is currently paying child support. However, when he was behind, interest accrued, which he is paying on as well. He had no reportable income this past year. Our income was all mine that I worked hard for and my bank account paid his child support. How is it okay for child support services to take ALL of MY state income tax return, $424.00, for his child support interest when not one red cent of it was earned by him? Someone please help me understand this legal theft!
  • Disagreeable
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Oct 2012
    • United States

Re: My money... help me understand this legal theft!

You could file a form for injured spouse and get 1/2 of the return or you could file separately. Just because he is not working does not mean his children could be turned off and require no food, clothing, shelter etc... I suggest he get a job at a fast food restaurant to feed his kids.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Friend In Court
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Apr 2011
      • United States

Originally posted by nurse
      My husband and I have been married for 2 years. He has 2 children that he is currently paying child support. However, when he was behind, interest accrued, which he is paying on as well. He had no reportable income this past year. Our income was all mine that I worked hard for and my bank account paid his child support. How is it okay for child support services to take ALL of MY state income tax return, $424.00, for his child support interest when not one red cent of it was earned by him? Someone please help me understand this legal theft!
      In what state do you reside? Is it a community property state? That makes a difference for in community property states each spouse has an undivided interest in the other spouse's property, which includes income.

There are spouses who have obtained a decree of legal separation just for circumstances like yours so they remain married, but no longer are their assets joint and indivisible because they are in a community property state -- and one of the spouses has debts for which they could attach the other spouse's income and assets.

So, if you are in a community property state, attaching your income or tax refund for your spouse's debt is legal.

Comment

• AFFA
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Dec 2009

I wish to inform you that you may claim the money from the biological father of the child under common law.

AFF

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...