Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Neighbor Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
GJohnson

Default Harassment by neighbor for RV parking

I purchased my home in 2005 and have dealt with harassment from my next door neighbor regarding parking my motor home in my "MLS stated" parking, located on my property.

Prior to the purchase of my home, I was very specific with my real estate agent, only having three specific requirements in my search besides square footage and number of bedrooms; 1. No HOA or Mello Roos, 2. RV onsite parking, 3. A pool. According to said agent, the MLS listing for this home as well as the MLS listings for several other homes also for sale in this neighborhood, also advertised on site RV parking.

I have twenty-three documented incidents of harassment against my next door neighbor with more than half of them involving my motor home. I have received a First Notice of Violation from the City of Calimesa April 9, 2007 which was addressed and resolved due to the CMC code sited did not apply to my situation (Section 12.8.05 (a)(2)): My motor home was operative and frequently used. Now, I received an Administrative Citation again addressing my motor home, with a new CMC code, 12.4.04(b)(2).

Attempting to resolve this issue, I was informed by the city official that the City is NOT pro-active in looking for and also issuing code violations. The only reason that I am receiving one according to this official is because of the constant complaints of my next door neighbor. I asked if this was to be enforced within my housing track and/or citywide and I was told no, only if there are complaints.

I have contacted my real estate agent only receiving assistance with verification that my home was listed in the MLS, stating it provides on site RV parking. I have researched the county Assessors records but these records lack such wording. I have called my homeowners insurance company verifying my policy includes on site RV parking but I am unsure if that would even assist me in this matter.

I see this as severe harassment of a neighbor who should be living in a HOA environment, I feel this is discrimination for not enforcing this with my neighbors whose homes provide the same type slotted spot to park their RV’s and also for not enforcing this citywide, however when attempting to enforce specific situations, as mine the City uses this as standard city municipal code requirements. I have searched high and low for a "grandfather clause" wording within the city municipal code and found 12.8.03(2)(b), however I have not been able to get verification and or feedback if such applies and could be my defense.

I was informed that I could present my case to the board but I have not provided the manner in which such is to be presented. I was told to give any material that you think might help you.

I appreciate your time in this matter and any assistance and/or advice on how to proceed.
GJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Harassment by neighbor for RV parking

You may just explain to the Board as you have done here and ask for a waiver or exemption in your situation.

Especially since you tried to be compliant originally, they may agree with you.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
GJohnson

Unfortunately due to the constant complaining by my next door neighbor regarding this issue the board is not allowing me this luxury. I was however able to obtain verification that the municipal code violation sited was directed and worded to commercial zoning and not residential. I will have to use this as my stance in order to attempt to change this situation. Thank you for your assistance and time in this matter, I do greatly appreciate it!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Unregistered

let us know how it goes

Old 11-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
GJohnson

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter as well as your response, I will follow up with the response and decision as a result! Thank you again!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Unregistered

Question Re: Harassment by neighbor for RV parking

Did you ever think about moving your R.V. into storage? As you can see all the harassment not worth it. Think about it! BE THE GOOD NEIGHBOR AND MOVE.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Unregistered

Im in agreement with the last comment. Its very frustrating to think you bought with the understanding that you could park your RV and I would definitely follow it up to see if you were misinformed. Maybe you could be compensated and have money to park it in storage. Im sure you realize how ugly and big and annoying it is to have an RV parked on the street in a neighborhood. They are terrible eye sores, take up alot of space, reduce home values, etc. Anyone who buys one knows the complications that can and will come from them. So, we way out the costs when we make the decision to buy such a big toy. I understand your pain completely. Eventually our eyes were opened and storage was the answer....Keep you neighbors happy thats my best advise

Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Unregistered

I am a home owner who complains to the city about a neighbor who parks their 20 foor RV in front of their house. That space is in reality if front of all of our houses, and it is a terrible eyesore. I do not know why an RV owner would not consider their neighbors and the impact on property values, unless they just do not care. And that would define them as a bad neighbor. DO NO HARM. BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Unregistered

A man parked his Rv on his own land ! you guys who think that's wrong, are Nazi and need serious psych help. I m sure he has every right and if follow through on this he ll win this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a home owner who complains to the city about a neighbor who parks their 20 foor RV in front of their house. That space is in reality if front of all of our houses, and it is a terrible eyesore. I do not know why an RV owner would not consider their neighbors and the impact on property values, unless they just do not care. And that would define them as a bad neighbor. DO NO HARM. BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #10
Unregistered

I have two neighbors with RVs that live across from one another. They park them on the street. This is against City regulations. Imagine two 30-foot-long, 12-foot high motorhomes parked on a neighborhood street, across from each other.

The Blind spot to drivers. Blind spot to pedestrians. A bad accident waiting to happen.

They were both cited about 2 years ago. They pulled a trick of moving them for a while. Now they've been back for over a year. I have 3 kids and a dog. I wonder if the city manager is legally or hopefully at least civilly responsible for non-enforcement. You should be able to park your beautiful RV in your yard, or store them. RUDE RUDE RUDE to park them on the street.