Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Neighbor Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #121
Unregistered

Default Re: Laws on bait traps for cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are a complete unknowledgeable bigoted moron. Cats are protected by law as free roaming creatures and any person committing an act of cruelty (such as trapping a cat) is liable to prosecution. If you want to quote law you should first learn it. Clearly you have not as you would otherwise know that human rights can only be violated by a person, organisation or state, not by animals. Rights are specific and are only violated when the right in question is denied or infringed upon. You will find no reference to cats in gardens in any of the articles or protocols of the ECHR or UDHR. But then if you know the law as you imply you must already be aware of this. Although I get the impression you're just a cat hater trying to look clever.
Listen, you are uneducated. First off, animals, right or wrongly, are considered 'property'. YOUR property is infringing upon mine. You have no rights on my property and any lawyer will tell you that. The people who let their cats outside are the ones being irresponsible and obviously do not care about them nor are they concerned for their safety. I love cats. I have always had cats. I am owned by a cat now. But, being educated and responsible, I dont let my cat outisde. I am not inconsiderate of my neighbors rights to enjoy their own property nor do I want to subject my cats to the multitude of dangers that you do every time you let it out your door. I volunteer for the MSPCA as well as several other animal organizations. I consider myself an 'animal activist'. I have seen first hand what happens to animals when their careless, thoughtless owners let them roam. Fist off, why should you be able to dictate what goes on on MY property? Why do you have the audacity to think that you can do whatever you damn well please and the rest of your neighbors are supposed to modify their lifestyles so we can all accomodate yours? You are inconsiderate and ignorant and frankly you are unfit to own any creature.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #122
Unregistered

Quote:
Listen, you are uneducated. First off, animals, right or wrongly, are considered 'property'. YOUR property is infringing upon mine. You have no rights on my property and any lawyer will tell you that. The people who let their cats outside are the ones being irresponsible and obviously do not care about them nor are they concerned for their safety. I love cats. I have always had cats. I am owned by a cat now. But, being educated and responsible, I dont let my cat outisde. I am not inconsiderate of my neighbors rights to enjoy their own property nor do I want to subject my cats to the multitude of dangers that you do every time you let it out your door. I volunteer for the MSPCA as well as several other animal organizations. I consider myself an 'animal activist'. I have seen first hand what happens to animals when their careless, thoughtless owners let them roam. Fist off, why should you be able to dictate what goes on on MY property? Why do you have the audacity to think that you can do whatever you damn well please and the rest of your neighbors are supposed to modify their lifestyles so we can all accomodate yours? You are inconsiderate and ignorant and frankly you are unfit to own any creature.
I agree
from now on,any cat in my yard is a dead cat.i have a wildlife-friendly garden & am sick& tired of chasing it & finding feathers in the yard & cat poo in my kid's sandpit.
if you love your cat,control it.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #123
Unregistered

In West Jordan, UT if you want Animal Control to take care of a cat problem. You yourself as a home owner have to trap the cat and then Animal Control will come empty it for you. However trap can not be set out in the open to expose them to the elements. Has to be covered in some way to protect it from rain, wind, ect. I have three neighborhood cats so far using my children's sandbox and large garden as pooping grounds. The cat waste in a sandbox can transmit a disease (forget what it is called) to your children. I have now bought a trap to catch these cats.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #124
Unregistered

I must say that some of the comments on here are some of the most ignorant that i have ever heard! Trapping a cat (which is someones pet) is cruelty. Especially leaving the cat in the trap for a long period of time. Cats are animals of the wild and have been domesticated by humans. Allowing your cat to go out and explore/catch birds and mice is the right of every cat owner. If my cat scratched your car (doubtful that would ever happen) then i would pay for it. But trapping and taking someones family member is just stupid and cruel. You either A) Have entirely too much time on your hands or B) Are a sick control freak animal hater.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #125
Unregistered

Cat owners need to know some facts of law and health:

Cats spread some 40+ zoonoses, the most deadly of which are rabies, hepatitis and toxoplasmosis.
Cats kill untold numbers of songbirds.
Cats pee and defecate in vegetable gardens.

No city or state has the legal right to tell property owners that they may not take action to trap or otherwise eliminate pests that threaten life, liberty or property, without due process of law, which means compensation is due the injured property owner for trespass and threats to health, etc. This rule is enshrined in the 5th Amendment to the US Constitution, and is binding on states and cities by application of the 14th Amendment. Nor, because of the 13th Amendment, may the gummint require a person to deliver a cat to the pound without compensation. Slavery died in 1964, remember?

Here in Austin, TX, the city is practicing "no-kill" and TNR. It is a violation of TX state law to kill a cat that is the property of another. Problem with that: you may always kill in "self-defense" and there is no law saying it is a crime to take any cat to LA, AR, OK, NM or Mexico to be killed. Killing it there is no business of the City of Austin or its bleeding hearts, since they have no jurisdiction whatsoever in those places.

We abused property owners would prefer to sterilize the cat owners than kill cats, but that might be considered cruel, with the result that the bleeding hearts of Austin leave us no alternative to killing the cat.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #126
Unregistered

If you think for one minute that your roaming cat does not climb, pee, crap, scratch cars, kill other animals you are brain dead.

You centainly are lazy and are not only a bad pet owner but probably a bad parent. You are the one who has the bully kid in school, or some other numnut that is absolutely perfect and never does anything wrong.

You can neither state your kid is perfect and does nothing wrong anymore than you can say your can is perfect. Why...........duh............it and your child is not on your leash! You cannot watch it while it is out of your house. Cats do what cats do. They piss, scratch cars, kill, **** and make noise and so does yours. You think it is well behaved since the only time you ever see it is indoors and it is lovable rubbing its ass on you leg. Why not it just killed three birsd 4 mice, screwed every cat available while it spread it scent on your neighbors property.

Idiots like cat owners are why our country is going to the dogs!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #127
Unregistered

if you release your pet to defecate and urinate in another person's yard, $120 is a small price to pay for their inconvenience. Cats do not obey fences... fact. A cat that is let out to use the bathroom still does not obey fences. Attractive baits only attract the cats that are in the vicinity, feral, or tame. He will eventually catch them, the live trap is not a cruel trap if checked daily, and maintained where the animal is not exposed to heat, direct sun, or freezing temperatures.

A man can be shot and killed trespassing on property due to the Castle Doctrine. A cat feral or pet is much lower on the concern list in my opinion. Keep your animal indoors, and allow for a cat box in your home. Then you will appreciate what deposits your animals are innocently making in your neighborhood.

Cats are responsible for decimation of bird populations, small mammals, frogs, insects. Some of these animals are protected by the EPA. Cage capture is much more responsible than the alternatives.

I have no sypathy for the irresponsible cat owner that lets an animal out and expects that everyone loves their animal the way they do, and just make allowances for trespassing, damages, and everything else your little hunter may do while not under your direct supervision

Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #128
fsdujyrnjsf

first of all there is no such thing as an indoor/ outdoor cat. ask anyone.. and if your cat is for example walking over a car it can damage your neighbors property because of scratches. if you dont want your cat to be caught get a litter box like every other cat owner in the world. your neighbor is probably trying to get rid of the strays you were talking about.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #129
Unregistered

Quote:
What are the laws about cats being in other peoples yards? My neighbor has placed a baited cat trap in his yard and I am worried my cat will be drawn into his yard by the bait and trapped. Reports by neighbors are that he turns the cats over to animal control and owners must pay a fine to save their cat from euthenasia.
Have you thought about being a responsible pet owner and not just letting your cat roam all over the neighbourhood unattended? I would hazard a guess that your neighbour is doing this because he doesn't like your animals in his yard. If you are worried about it, keep it home.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #130
Unregistered

Did you really say this: "Well its not our cats doing the damages because they dont even damage our property.. and they arent free to roam." How oblivious are you? Your cats don't damage your property because they are too busy damaging everyone else's property. You say they aren't free to roam . . . yet they were trapped IN YOUR NEIGHBOR'S YARD. How the **** did they get in your neighbor's yard if they aren't free to roam? They smelled food, and roamed right on in! What is it about this that you don't understand? Of course, it's never your cat (or your kid) doing anything wrong . . . blame it on the strays! Your little monster is perfect.
I like your neighbor. I am going to ask his advice about setting a trap for our neighbor's cat who keeps roaming into our yard uninvited and killing birds. I can hear you saying, "that's what cats do" . . . just make sure they do it in YOUR yard, not mine.