Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > LABOR and EMPLOYMENT LAW > Salary and Workers Compensation

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Sunny80

Default Salary and bi-weekly pay offer on Offer Letter does not match gross pay

In August of 2014 I signed an employment contract after I came to an agreement on the salary with the new company. I received my offer letter which indicated what my yearly salary as well as bi-weekly pay would be (gross pay). I discovered that my pay checks (gross pay) does not match up with the offer letter or the amounts my employer has promised. This new job was supposed to ensure a ~$7,500 raise in salary from my previous job, but I noticed that my gross pay at the new job is $2 LESS per paycheck than the previous salary gross pay which doesn't make sense if I was supposed to get about $7,500 more per annual year. The pay period of my new job is exactly the same as the pay period of my previous job. To be exact, my employer is paying me $615.38 (gross pay, pre-tax) less per month than I had been promised! I sent an email to our HR about this issue but no one reponded. I have contacted HR 3 times but I have yet to hear back from them (HR is not in the building/location that I work in). Since there had been lay offs in January of 2015 I have a bad feeling that I will never hear from them or it might be difficult for me to get them to pay me what they promised me due to the financial issues the company is currently going through. I left a GOOD job because I thought this would be a great opportunity with a nice raise on top, but it turns out it is not what they promised. I sent another email today and hope that I can find the right person to speak with but since I started at this company I noticed that they generally are not responsive about anything. What can I do? Do I need a lawyer? Would this complicate my relationship with the company and would they then let me go if I become too persistent about my pay as well as back-pay? I don't know. I think I feel bad because they did let me take unscheduled time off due to a family emergency very recently, but I still think that I have the right to collect what I was promised in my offer letter. What would be the next step? I don't even know where to start!

UPDATE: Something unbelievable happened...after long last, as in MINUTES after I made this post, I received an email response from HR saying that they will work with payroll to reimburse me the money I am owed. This sounds too good to be true after complete radio silence from them up to now, so I will believe it when I see it! Wish me luck!
Sunny80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Salary and bi-weekly pay offer on Offer Letter does not match gross pay

I wish to inform you that you may first send a demand letter demanding amount due to you. If other party fail to pay amount due to you then you can file a lawsuit. Further you can file a complaint with Department of Labor of your state. Liability of your employer arises because he has defaulted in payment of salary due to you. Amount of salary is determined according to contract and hence your employer must pay you salary as per agreement.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Sunny80

Default Re: Salary and bi-weekly pay offer on Offer Letter does not match gross pay

Thank you very much for this information! HR has now stated they are working with Payroll to correct this mistake. I am happy they responded however I will believe it once I see it. If this issue does not get resolved by the end of March I will certainly (1) File a complaint with the Dept of Labour; then (2) get a new employer! Thanks so much!
Sunny80 is offline   Reply With Quote