Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
kal44
kal44's Flag is: France

Default French law on a security deposit for a rented apartment in Paris

I was curious what french law indicates about a security deposit for a rented apartment in Paris, France that is used as rent. I am having difficulties with the landlord and feel like he is going to rip me off from my security deposit when i give him the keys to the apartment in the next two months. In order to protect myself, I was thinking of having him deduct the rent for the last two months (the amount of the deposit) instead of pay and hope to recieve my deposit back. I understand the main point of having a security deposit to protect the landlord from any damages that may happen in the apartment (none at this point) but from a legal standpoint what exactly can the landlord do if I decide to go this route? Can he sue me even if the amount of rent is exact from the deposit? I understand that this type of behavior is frowned upon by landlords but is it actually against the law? Thank you.
kal44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-10-2018, 04:33 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: French law on a security deposit for a rented apartment in Paris

I wish to inform you that your landlord may treat our non payment of rent as breach of agreement and may take steps for recovery of any amount due as rent. You may adjust security deposit against unpaid rent with the consent of landlord. In case your landlord refuse to return your security deposit at the end of lease then you may take action for violation by landlord.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal44 View Post
I was curious what french law indicates about a security deposit for a rented apartment in Paris, France that is used as rent. I am having difficulties with the landlord and feel like he is going to rip me off from my security deposit when i give him the keys to the apartment in the next two months. In order to protect myself, I was thinking of having him deduct the rent for the last two months (the amount of the deposit) instead of pay and hope to recieve my deposit back. I understand the main point of having a security deposit to protect the landlord from any damages that may happen in the apartment (none at this point) but from a legal standpoint what exactly can the landlord do if I decide to go this route? Can he sue me even if the amount of rent is exact from the deposit? I understand that this type of behavior is frowned upon by landlords but is it actually against the law? Thank you.

It is not legal to do what you propose!

I lived in France for 16 years and know absolutely that that is not allowed.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

Generally the deposit cannot be used in lieu of the payment of rent, so rent must continue to be payable right up to the end of the tenancy. Conversely, the land lord is obliged to return the deposit money after reasonable and legal deductions. If he act against it you can initiate legal action against him for the deposit money.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No