Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and INTERNET LAW > Internet Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #1
tuph5
tuph5's Flag is: United States

Default Company owns a .com website but has not registered the trademark

If a company owns a .com website but has not registered the trademark for the domain name or for the company name in any country, then i can just register the trademark in each country and force the company to pay me trademark infringement damages?
can i force them to give me the .com domain? or i can just force them to stop using the .com domain? Is it viable to do that even if the company has been using and operating the website for a while before the date that i filed for the trademark in each country?
tuph5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Company owns a .com website but has not registered the trademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuph5 View Post
If a company owns a .com website but has not registered the trademark for the domain name or for the company name in any country, then i can just register the trademark in each country and force the company to pay me trademark infringement damages?
can i force them to give me the .com domain? or i can just force them to stop using the .com domain? Is it viable to do that even if the company has been using and operating the website for a while before the date that i filed for the trademark in each country?
You can try, but it isn't going to work and is likely to get you sued.

A trademark doesn't have to be "registered" to be enforceable against aholes.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Burt 202

Default Re: Company owns a .com website but has not registered the trademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuph5 View Post
That is not a viable plan.
Once the company starts using the domain or even begins its legitimate planning activities, it has common law trademark and copyright protection that you normally will not be able to stop. It is not quite as strong a registered trademark protection but it is still very strong.

If you legitimately start to use the trademark yourself in a market where they are not active, you may get rights to keep the use for yourself. But that has to be in a real use situation normally.