USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

If a defendant is not a registered company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JK27
    • May 2017
    • United States

If a defendant is not a registered company?

If the defendant is not a registered company in the town in which they reside and is not an LLC or INC, how would this effect my claim against this company? I filed a small claim against a company who did work on my house and called to find out the town clerk as well as the city to get this information. Turns out they are not registered anywhere. Does this mean this company is not insured?
  • PattiP
    • Oct 2016
    • United States

Re: If a defendant is not a registered company?

Then sue the individuals involved personally.

And let them explain in court why they are not legally formed or registered.
    IF they even show up.

Comment

• adjusterjack
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • May 2016

Originally posted by JK27
      Turns out they are not registered anywhere. Does this mean this company is not insured?
      Not necessarily. Sole proprietors buy insurance. But whether they have insurance or don't have insurance has nothing to do with the merits of your case.

Neither does whether or not they are registered anywhere. That's between them and the state.

If the company is a sole proprietorship you sue Joe Blow DBA Whatever.

Of course, if Joe Blow is fly by night you might find it easy to get a judgment and still never see a nickel.

I'm guessing you didn't check him out before hiring him.

Comment

• Unregistered

If they are not properly registerd as a company or the registration has lapsed, then the individuals involved can be sued and held liable.

Comment

• LJJ

Originally posted by PattiP

IF they even show up.

I agree 100%, sue the individuals and let them explain to the court why they should have corporate status and why they should not be personally liable.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by adjusterjack
            Not necessarily. Sole proprietors buy insurance. But whether they have insurance or don't have insurance has nothing to do with the merits of your case.

Neither does whether or not they are registered anywhere. That's between them and the state.

If the company is a sole proprietorship you sue Joe Blow DBA Whatever.

Of course, if Joe Blow is fly by night you might find it easy to get a judgment and still never see a nickel.

I'm guessing you didn't check him out before hiring him.

I always add the individuals in my filings because often the sole proprietorships dont do everything correctly and then the option is to collect from the person, not the defunct legal entity he or she formed.

Comment

• Wenton2
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Sep 2016
              • United States

If the defendant is not a registered company in the town in which they reside and is not an LLC or INC, how would this effect my claim against this company? I filed a small claim against a company who did work on my house and called to find out the town clerk as well as the city to get this information. Turns out they are not registered anywhere. Does this mean this company is not insured?

Sue them in small claims and name every name you have that they used with you, and name the individuals as posters noted above. The persons may even face fraud charges if they willfully and purposely misrepresented their status.

Comment

• Lexus
                Top Level Member
                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                • Sep 2010
                • United States

Regardless of their registration you can claim them for damages together with allegations of fraud and misrepresentation. In such a situation they will be forced to show facts in order to justify their activities.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by PattiP

IF they even show up.

I faced the same and i sued every person i any way involved in their individual capacity.

The "owner", the workers the receptionist.

And the case settled in 6 days.

Comment

• Unregistered

You may then have a deceptive trade practices claim against the person as well.
                    File a complaint with your state attorney general's office!

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      You may then have a deceptive trade practices claim against the person as well.
                      File a complaint with your state attorney general's office!

The AGs office IS a good place to start. Businesses are generally loathe to tick off the AGs office. In my experience.

Comment

• Unregistered

Very helpful discussion BTW. It solved my problem right ON POINT!!
                        Thank you all!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the answer is no... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...