Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and INTERNET LAW > Copyright, Trademark, Patent

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
MIN44
MIN44's Flag is: United States

Default What normally proceeds when there is a trademark infringement?

Hello i own an etsy shop and today I received a mail were etsy informed me that one of my items have been deactivated because of trademark infringement from Warner Bros. Which I understand, the item was a bracelet with a harry potter symbol.
My question is, Is this case closed? or do I have to pay a fee? or contact someone?, I was provide with the contact of who gave the information to deactivate my item on mail. Or should I just don´t sell it again and it is over?

I don´t know what proceeds? What normally proceeds when there is a trademark infringement?
MIN44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
iowaplayer
iowaplayer's Flag is: United States

Default Re: What normally proceeds when there is a trademark infringement?

as i understand it and seen it enforced on the web, they will usually leave you alone as long as you cease using the protected trademark. if you try to continue, then they will usually escalate, possibly ending up in a law suit.
i believe you can continue to sell the item, perhaps as movie memorabillia, without using the trademark. or you could sell it as a harry potter bracelet without showing a picture of the item.

companies such as disney have web bots that crawl around looking for anything on their trademark list and sending nastygrams to those who infringe.

if you are really worried, i would suggest spending some bux and consulting a lawyer.

ip
iowaplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
mack5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIN44 View Post
Hello i own an etsy shop and today I received a mail were etsy informed me that one of my items have been deactivated because of trademark infringement from Warner Bros. Which I understand, the item was a bracelet with a harry potter symbol.
My question is, Is this case closed? or do I have to pay a fee? or contact someone?, I was provide with the contact of who gave the information to deactivate my item on mail. Or should I just don´t sell it again and it is over?

I don´t know what proceeds? What normally proceeds when there is a trademark infringement?

Usually if you don't further sell the item the issue is done and closed.
It's not really worth it for them to try to sue you over it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

In this regard it is good to consult an attorney practicing in the field of copyright and trademarks. He will contact the person who informed you about the trademark infringement so that the attorney can decide if there is any scope for defense.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
kandy34

Personally I would not get an attorney involved (and maybe even complicate the situation) unless the situation escalates.

Usually just removing the item and stopping the sales will resolve it, based on my experience selling in eBay.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
danny7

In my experience on eBay simply halting the allegedly infringing sales usually ends the matter.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No