•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john012
    • May 2018
    • United States

Can I get in legal trouble?

I found someone's phone and tried to give it back in exchange for $50 for the time. They declined so I said fine and left. Can I get in legal trouble?
  • Lexus
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Sep 2010
    • United States

Re: Can I get in legal trouble?

The can file a complaint against you as they know their phone is with you.

Comment

• adjusterjack
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • May 2016

Originally posted by john012
      I found someone's phone and tried to give it back in exchange for $50 for the time. They declined so I said fine and left. Can I get in legal trouble?
      Yes.

You have committed the crimes of extortion and theft.

Comment

• iowaplayer
        • Feb 2018
        • United States

i believe it's possible you could be charged with receiving stolen goods, which is a felony. just give the fone back man. it's the right thing to do.

ip

Comment

• mack10

Also Google: "theft by finding"

You cannot keep the phone. Good try though.

Comment

• mack10

And Wikipedia notes:

Theft by finding occurs when someone chances upon an object which seems abandoned and takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is genuinely abandoned and not merely lost or unattended.[1] In some jurisdictions the crime is called "larceny by finding" or "stealing by finding".[2][3]

One of many possible causes of action against you if you try to keep the phone...

Comment

• sandralee
              • Jun 2018
              • United States

While I am not sure about the legality of it all (although I would not be surprised if you could get in legal trouble for this), It’s sad to see a world where people do this. I’ve had two instances of finding someone else’s things. The first time, I was the tennis coach at a high school. During a match, I found a phone near the tennis courts and decided to hold onto it before dropping it off at the office. About an hour later, a student walked up and asked if anyone had found his phone. I gave it to him, and his face lit up. He thanked me profusely before heading home, relieved.

Comment

Originally posted by adjusterjack

Yes.

You have committed the crimes of extortion and theft.
                hmm is that true? what about finders keepers losers weepers??

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a lemon is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...