•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cavanchacs
    • Feb 2017
    • Australia

Fender bender summons

I am being sued for personal injury after rear ending someone in July 2015 in Chicago. I am Australian, live in Australia. The car was a rental, with loss damage waiver but not liability insurance. What should I do? The summons was sent February 1st, I received it at my parents' address on 22nd February.
  • adjusterjack
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • May 2016

Re: Fender bender summons

If you have your own car insurance, report the lawsuit to your insurance company and see if you had liability coverage while driving a rental.

Comment

• Disagreeable
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Oct 2012
      • United States

You should hire a lawyer to represent you in the US. Otherwise, they will usually obtain the judgment they seek. I would also stop traveling and save the money to pay your obligations.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Unregistered

Sending the summons by regular mail may not be sufficient and it may not be validly served.
        Check that point a bit more. Check the court records online eg to see if the service of process has been accepted by the court.
        If not validly served you do not have to respond.

Comment

• Unregistered

How much is the suit for?

Smaller suits (and judgments if any) will often not really be worth collecting on a US judgment in Australia.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Sending the summons by regular mail may not be sufficient and it may not be validly served.
            Check that point a bit more. Check the court records online eg to see if the service of process has been accepted by the court.
            If not validly served you do not have to respond.

I agree, sometimes US lawyers just hope you will respond but service of process internationally normally is fairly complicated legally.

Comment

• Wenton2
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Sep 2016
              • United States

Certainly do not respond unless you can confirm that the court deemed you to be properly served. If you were not properly served then the lawsuit has no validity as to you at this point.

Comment

• Lexus
                Top Level Member
                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                • Sep 2010
                • United States

Serving summons at parent’s address shows an inappropriate service of process. A Court will get personal jurisdiction over a person only if he is properly served with summons. In your case you are not properly served with summons. You need to confirm the status of service from the court site. If it was an improper service the case will not stand.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by cavanchacs
                  I am being sued for personal injury after rear ending someone in July 2015 in Chicago. I am Australian, live in Australia. The car was a rental, with loss damage waiver but not liability insurance. What should I do? The summons was sent February 1st, I received it at my parents' address on 22nd February.

Call the clerk of court aor check online and nd see if you were deemed served by the court?

Comment

• steiner-law
                    • Aug 2017
                    • United States

So you had no insurance coverage while driving? Either from the rental car company or your own car insurance? Please clarify.

If you have some form of insurance, your insurance company should handle the matter - you just need to report it to them (hence, why I am asking for clarification). If there was no insurance in place, it may be especially important to contact a lawyer licensed in Illinois. Depending on what type of insurance you had in place, or whether you had insurance at all, the answer will vary.

Good luck!
                    California Personal Injury Law Firm
                    The information provided does not constitute legal advice. The information provided is only intended to be used for educational purposes. Contact a lawyer licensed in your state to receive information specific to your case.
                    Information provided on behalf of Steiner Injury Law (steinerinjurylaw.com)

Comment

• Highwayman
                      Top Level Member
                      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by steiner-law
                      So you had no insurance coverage while driving? Either from the rental car company or your own car insurance? Please clarify.
                      Replying 5+ months after the original post is not a very worthwhile thing to do.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by steiner-law

If you have some form of insurance, your insurance company should handle the matter - you just need to report it to them (hence, why I am asking for clarification). If there was no insurance in place, it may be especially important to contact a lawyer licensed in Illinois. Depending on what type of insurance you had in place, or whether you had insurance at all, the answer will vary.

Good luck!
                        Excellent points!!

Comment

• Disagreeable
                          Top Level Member
                          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                          • Oct 2012
                          • United States

Except that every insurance policy of that type I have seen always include a timely notification clause and if you fail to notify them timely, they do not cover it as a violation of the contract.
                          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Unregistered

I live in Ireland and a US person is suing me saying I hit their car in the Target lot in Florida.
                            Do I really need to answer this suit and what can they really do to me in Ireland all the way from Miami!

Comment

• Highwayman
                              Top Level Member
                              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Unregistered
                              I live in Ireland and a US person is suing me saying I hit their car in the Target lot in Florida.
                              Do I really need to answer this suit and what can they really do to me in Ireland all the way from Miami!
                              Start your own thread if you have a question - don't hijack an existing thread.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...