USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

When does an attorney retainer agreement end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Weston
    • Nov 2016
    • United States

When does an attorney retainer agreement end?

When does a retainer agreement actually end?

My lawyer says we have to sign something to end it, but I thought we basically agreed that in March and were done.

Now I see he billed me for some items in THIS month, reviewing correspondence that came in that I do not need further reviewed.
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: When does an attorney retainer agreement end?

I wish to inform you that the attorney's retainer agreement will terminate as per the termination clause in the agreement or on a date stated in the agreement. If the agreement is silent on the termination then it may be terminated by mutual consent of the parties.

AFF

Comment

• Highwayman
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2014

Well is your case settled or not? What type of case is it? If your attorney is still getting correspondence then it sounds like it's not done.

Read your retainer agreement and see what it actually says.

Comment

• Wenton2
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Sep 2016
        • United States

If the retainer agreement doesn't specify a termination date or procedure, then you need to notify the attorney that the agreement is terminated.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Weston
          When does a retainer agreement actually end?

My lawyer says we have to sign something to end it, but I thought we basically agreed that in March and were done.

Now I see he billed me for some items in THIS month, reviewing correspondence that came in that I do not need further reviewed.

There are often follow up details that should be or need to be done. If you want to attorney to stop working completely, you need to tell him and have you two agree that all is done.

Comment

• Unregistered

Make sure you and the attorney agree and confirm that no more charges are to be made unless he consults you.
            That's when your obligation ends!

Comment

• Lexus
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Sep 2010
              • United States

A retainer agreement is a contract wherein a client pays another professional in advance for work to be specified at a later point in time. One party -- say, a contractor -- agrees to provide a client with a certain number of hours of work each month. In exchange for locking in that time, the client will pay the contractor in advance for those hours. Then, once the work is complete, the retainer fee will be applied to what the contractor is owed, and any subsequent hours will be billed at that contractor's usual rate. Termination or expiry of the retainment will be expressed in the agreement.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Lexus
                A retainer agreement is a contract wherein a client pays another professional in advance for work to be specified at a later point in time. One party -- say, a contractor -- agrees to provide a client with a certain number of hours of work each month. In exchange for locking in that time, the client will pay the contractor in advance for those hours. Then, once the work is complete, the retainer fee will be applied to what the contractor is owed, and any subsequent hours will be billed at that contractor's usual rate. Termination or expiry of the retainment will be expressed in the agreement.

Or if not in the agreement, have the lawyer simply confirm in writing that the representation is now completed/finished.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...