Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Divorce, Separation, Annulment

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #1
LTR55
LTR55's Flag is: United States

Default Who gets our beautiful dog in the divorce?

Texas

My soon to be ex husband and I bought a pup together 4 years ago.

We are having a terrible custody battle on the kids that may resolve finally but we havent even talked about the dog and I must have her. How best to deal with this as he says the dog has to go with him? And Good Lord don't tell me we have to have a dog custody battle too?
LTR55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Who gets our beautiful dog in the divorce?

I wish to inform you that the pet is considered a property and property law in Texas will have jurisdiction in the matter. A divorce is a trying time not only for the family but also for the pet. You may agree to a shared custody with visitation rights and shared expenses. If you are unable to reach agreement in the matter, the Court will decide the matter. It will keep in view the best interests of the pet. The Court will consider the following factors - Which party primarily takes care of the pet's daily needs?; Which party is the pet more "attached" to?; Which party is responsible for training of the pet?; and after the divorce which party is better able to financially care for the pet? You may contact your attorney and seek guidance in the matter.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTR55 View Post
Good Lord don't tell me we have to have a dog custody battle too?
Afraid so.

A pet is property, just like your house, car, TV.

If you and your soon to be ex can't reach an agreement, the court will decide it for you.

Consider having the custody and visitation of the dog to coincide with the custody and visitation of the children.

Understand that the more you disagree with your spouse the happier you make your lawyers while you fatten their bank accounts.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

As the dog is 4 years old it has equal emotional attachment to its family members so you should consider a joint visitation for the good mental health of the dog rather than drag the issue into a litigation.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

There is one exception. If either of you is listed as the sole purchaser of the dog, they own it.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote