• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 33HGB
    • Nov 2017
    • United States

Remote worker and threats of lawsuit

Pakistan

I worked remotely as an unpaid intern for a California employer. I wasn't given any guidance and expected to do everything myself and be excellent at it.
    I quit after a week because of over work. Before leaving I asked if the website was working fine and employee said yes. After a few days of quitting they emailed me and said they are getting an error and that never happened before I started working. I don't know if that's true or not. Because they were using the website too. There was no written contract, only through emails and video call. Can they sue me? What can I do to protect myself?
  • adjusterjack
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • May 2016

Re: Remote worker and threats of lawsuit

Can they sue me?
    Sure. Anybody can sue anybody for anything.

Will they?

No way to predict.

What can I do to protect myself?
    Nothing.

If you get sued, you defend.

If you don't get sued, forget about it.

Meantime, I suggest you cease all communication with those people. It's the talking that gets you into trouble.

Comment

• AFFA
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Dec 2009

I wish to inform you that it is the terms and conditions as stated in the contract that will have jurisdiction in this matter. The contract may consist of emails and video call records. Even oral agreements are valid agreements but difficult to prove. However, if you are in Pakistan then the courts in California may not have jurisdiction upon you. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance in this matter.

AFF

Comment

• Unregistered

Isnt it illegal to hire unemployed interns in California?

Comment

• LindaLee777

Yes.

Unpaid "internships" are illegal. A common labor violation in California is the use of unpaid "interns," especially in the entertainment industry. The issue is that every employee must make the minimum wage, and employers cannot get around this by calling the work "volunteer" work or an "internship."

Google: Unpaid Internships - California

Comment

• LindaLee777

I am assuming you meant "unpaid" interns...

Comment

• Unregistered

Yeah I meant unpaid. So the employer of the OP is doing something illegal, seeing as the OP wasn't given any guidance , while any intern is required to have a mentor or a learning experience acorrding to DOL.

Comment

• LindaLee777

Yes it would seem they were acting in violation of the law.
                So they certainly would not want to file in court if that is the case.

Comment

• Lexus
                  Top Level Member
                  ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                  • Sep 2010
                  • United States

Since there was no written contract between you and your employer they could not file a case against you. Further they have to scientifically prove that you are responsible for the error.

Comment

They are really supposed to be using unpaid interns in CA.
                    The law doesn't really support that these days. It was abused too much in the past.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the answer is no... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...