Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Other Criminal Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Citizen abroad
Citizen abroad's Flag is: Germany

Default Probation abroad

I was convicted of attempting to purchase a large quantity of pot in Germany earlier this year. My penalty is 2 years of probation. As I was planning to move back to the US which means I would not be attending any meetings with my probation officer. I am both an American and German citizen. What are the consequences other than not being able to go back to Germany? Can they somehow contact the American authorities and get me into trouble?
Citizen abroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Probation abroad

I wish to inform you that German law enforcement may cancel your probation and court may pass order regarding your arrest. If law enforcement authorities know that you have gone to USA then they may seek extradition from USA. In 1978 US and Germany have signed extradition agreement. Extradition agreement includes offences those relating to narcotics, including psychotropic and other dangerous drugs and hence your offence may be included.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2018, 04:03 AM   #3
Citizen abroad
Citizen abroad's Flag is: Germany

Is there any way I can protect myself against that? Move to a state where Pot is legal for example? Will they extradite me even though I am an American citizen? Are there any ways I can protect myself against extradition? Will they put my fingerprints and other information into the FBI database to try and find me or can I just leave, not report where I have gone and have a large chance of not being caught? Wanted to move back for a while and just can't wait 2 more years because of one stupid mistake. I have already waited for almost 5 years just to appear in court....

Thank you very much for your fast reply!
Citizen abroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen abroad View Post
Is there any way I can protect myself against that?
Yes, stop playing games and stay put and serve your sentence.

Quote:
Move to a state where Pot is legal for example?
That is totally ridiculous.

Quote:
Will they extradite me even though I am an American citizen?
Of course they would.

If you want to scam the system maybe you should start speaking with an attorney in the US about what your options are.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote