Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ATTORNEYS, COURTS, LITIGATION > Civil Litigation

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
lee mathis

Default I got a loan put up property stored at loan persons storage, he's incarcerated now

I got a loan from a neighbor to buy emergency medicines. I signed a. Contract he hand wrote. 30 days pay back the loan or he gets my property. He's been put in jail for whatever. I have had the loan with Interest ready before the 30 days due date. He's demanding full payment to his prison books. He's threatening if I don't do it I'll never see my property again. I want my property back. What can I do
lee mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: I got a loan put up property stored at loan persons storage, he's incarcerated no

I wish to inform you that you may contact the correctional facility to find out what restrictions may apply and what information you will need to provide, such as the inmate's prison-identification or booking number and the sender's name before sending the money.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Sax
Top Level Member

Default Re: I got a loan put up property stored at loan persons storage, he's incarcerated no

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFFA View Post
I wish to inform you that you may contact the correctional facility to find out what restrictions may apply and what information you will need to provide, such as the inmate's prison-identification or booking number and the sender's name before sending the money.

AFF
WHAT?

(It seems that the mental patients have commandeered the nurses' station - AGAIN! )

The OP is worried about retrieving his personal property that was somehow pledged to secure the money he borrowed and you - mindless that the only leverage he has is to hold on to the money until his goods are released to him - have witlessly instructed him how to forward it. Geez!
Sax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Sax
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee mathis View Post
I got a loan from a neighbor to buy emergency medicines. I signed a. Contract he hand wrote. 30 days pay back the loan or he gets my property. He's been put in jail for whatever. I have had the loan with Interest ready before the 30 days due date. He's demanding full payment to his prison books. He's threatening if I don't do it I'll never see my property again. I want my property back. What can I do
I'm going to assume that you are intelligent enough to ignore the lame advice to simply forward the money and never lay eyes on your property again.

What I suggest is that you write this con and tell him that if he wants repayment, he is to make arrangements as follows:

Someone that you both can trust is to retrieve the goods from storage and hold them in safekeeping. This individual is to notify you when accomplished.

You are then given the opportunity to inspect and inventory the collateral. If satisfied, you will deliver the individual a money order in the amount owed payable to the con in exchange for your goods.

But what I suspect is that there will be storage fees owed and nothing released until paid. In which case those rental charges are to be deducted from the loan repayment.

Its apt to be a bit complicated so you will just have to play it by ear. Just don't pay until the goods are delivered! Hopefully they are worth the effort.

Good luck
Sax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2015, 02:56 AM   #5
melbrandle

You need to ensure that these goods are delivered before you make a transfer. I would be wary to do so to this person you owed, especially that he is already in jail. You would not know what else he has done to merit his time in jail, and you could be a potential victim. Just ensure that someone, a third party, could be your witness in the delivery and once done, wire him the money. Make sure that you have everything documented. There might be some storage fees that you will incur, but you can ignore this. What’s important is that you get your goods.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
Lexus
Top Level Member

If you do get the police to listen and take a report, ask if an officer can police accompany you to the person’s house to help get your stuff back. Ask for extra, of course, for pain and suffering. Seek help from an attorney.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote