Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > LABOR and EMPLOYMENT LAW > Salary and Workers Compensation

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
MAC33
MAC33's Flag is: United States

Default Hourly pay doesn't match offer letter

I've been working at this company since April 2017 as a contracted employee through a Temp agency & have recently been hired on permanently at the company. My offer letter stated I'd be making $XX per hour, however my pay stub shows I'm getting $2 less per hour then what the offer letter stated. I have made my manager aware of the issue. He replied that when new hires are brought on they are brought on at the lower wage, that the offer letter amount was a typo and that he would speak with Recruiting about it. My husband said he's looked into it and that I have no recourse, it's sucks but I will just get paid what they want to pay me.
Is an employer required to pay the amount in an offer letter?
MAC33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Hourly pay doesn't match offer letter

You could argue they must pay you the first hour at that wage and all further hours at the entry level wage. Unfortunately an offer letter is not a "strong" form of contract. At best, you could argue they must pay it until you were notified of the lower wage, by receipt of your check. Expect to be terminated as soon as you file with the state to try and get it. What I would do in your situation is contact HR and request they make the adjustment. If they say tough luck decide whether you want the lower wage or quit. Your manager has an incentive to pay you less and have his department perform better.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Legally, they are obliged to pay the salary what they mentioned in the offer letter. In this case you can contact the management to enquire the reason for non-payment of the salary mentioned in the offer letter. Did you sign the employment agreement?
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Iknowlaw
Iknowlaw's Flag is: United States

I would have to examine the offer letter in order to help. But I can say this, it is possible to get your expected wage and everyone comes out happy. Remember the goal is getting your desired wage while not creating tension with your employer.

Contact me through my website
Iknowlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC33 View Post
I've been working at this company since April 2017 as a contracted employee through a Temp agency & have recently been hired on permanently at the company. My offer letter stated I'd be making $XX per hour, however my pay stub shows I'm getting $2 less per hour then what the offer letter stated. I have made my manager aware of the issue. He replied that when new hires are brought on they are brought on at the lower wage, that the offer letter amount was a typo and that he would speak with Recruiting about it. My husband said he's looked into it and that I have no recourse, it's sucks but I will just get paid what they want to pay me.
Is an employer required to pay the amount in an offer letter?
Yes they are required to pay what they said they would pay! You relied on that offered amount.

File a complaint as well with your Dept of Labor Office if need be.