Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Car Accident Claims

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Terno

Default How to get footage of hit and run

My car had been hit about two weeks ago in the apartment complex i live in, It was a hit hit and run.

There maybe be footage of the accident. I have made a police report and had gotten a hold of apartment manager but nothing seems to be working. How do i get the footage to possibly take this to court.
Terno is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: How to get footage of hit and run

I wish to inform you that if there is camera in your premises then you may seek copy of footage from apartment manager. If he refuses then you may request law enforcement to look at footage and know details of accident. Alternatively you may seek court order regarding footage. If there is any camera in nearby area then footage of that camera may be requested to collect evidence of crime.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2016, 02:55 AM   #3
DD May

Of course a good old-fashioned subpoena also works!

Old 08-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD May View Post
Of course a good old-fashioned subpoena also works!
You generally cannot have a subpoena issued unless it's on an active case but there is a way to file a lawsuit against a John Doe which would facilitate a subpoena which in turn could result in identifying the person and then an amendment of the complaint and service of the lawsuit against the hit and run.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
LJJ

Reminding the police to ask the building for the tape is the easiest way. The building is not going to argue with the police in most cases.

LJ

Old 08-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
Jason26

I have a similar situation, Does an apt building (300 units) car park have to give me the tape?
The manager says it is up to him but that sounds odd to me? I am sure the tape will show who bumped my car. He still has not given yet 3 days after I asked.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
olive
Top Level Member

They are not perhaps technically "required" to give it but most will if you have a serious claim.
And they don't think you are misusing the info.

If they do not provide the recordings, try the methods above described. At some point you WILL get it.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Unregistered

A Duncan Donuts camera filmed a fender bender that occurred in a next door pizza place.
Does DD have to give me the film if I demand it for court?
They say it was nothing to do with anything on their property so they do not want to give it nor be involved.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A Duncan Donuts camera filmed a fender bender that occurred in a next door pizza place.
Does DD have to give me the film if I demand it for court?
They say it was nothing to do with anything on their property so they do not want to give it nor be involved.
No, DD doesn't HAVE to give you anything.

If you sue the driver that hit you, you can serve a subpoena on DD to get the video which, unfortunately, will probably be recorded over by then.

One alternative is to buy it from the store owner or manager. Bring a hundred dollar bill and a USB drive and that might encourage cooperation.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Unregistered

If they get a subpoena they DO need to take reasonable steps to preserve the info.

So acting fast can be helpful. (If it is possible to issue a subpoena in your situation.)