Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > LABOR and EMPLOYMENT LAW > Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Hourly to Salary... unknowingly, overtime for free?

i've been working for a company for many years, i was always paid time and a half for overtime. the company was bought and sold a couple of times and i continued to be paid 1-1/2 for overtime.....until we (our division) were transfered under another division of the same company. I was then put on salary without even being informed. Eventually my boss said we would get straight time for overtime which i agreed to. Now that manager is gone and the new manager is asking me to work overtime and refuses to pay me the straight time that I agreed to with the previous manager. If i refuse and get fired, is there any legal recourse?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
able1
Top Level Member

Default re: Hourly to Salary... unknowingly, overtime for free?

If they change your salary so much that it is basically like firing you, then you can get unemployment.

But unless you have a contract or agreement they can unfourtunately make changes.
able1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Unregistered

I don't understand what you are saying. I agreed to straight time for overtime with the previous manager but the current manager refuses to pay it.

Also, when I was changed from hourly to salary, they didn't even tell me they did it. I never agreed to it and they didn't offer to renegotiate my pay. They just expected us to keep working (whatever hours are necessary to get the job done) for the same pay but without any overtime pay.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Unregistered

Well then you can sue for the extra time and payments due, because you did have to agree to any change.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Unregistered

I haven't worked any overtime since this change to salary. My previous manager would have approved the overtime pay if I had. This new manager is now asking me to work overtime and says he will not pay me for it so I'm refusing to work more than 40 hrs a week. Can he fire me if I refuse to work extra hours for no extra pay?