Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Insurance Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #1
Davis65
Davis65's Flag is: United States

Default Regarding Insurance Claim!!!

One of my friends was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. His employer's life insurance provides for a one time 50% withdrawal in cases of terminal illness. My question is, does he have to pay taxes on this and can my creditors take this money from me?
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 06-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Regarding Insurance Claim!!!

I wish to inform you that insurance amount is in the form of reimbursement of medical expenses or for payment of medical expenses. Hence insurance amount of your friend may not be subject to taxes because it is part of reimbursement. Further creditors may not claim such an amount as the said amount is paid towards meeting expenses of illness. However if the amount is lying in bank account and the said bank account is having garnishing orders then your friend may be required to obtain temporary injunction from garnishment of amount received to meet medical expenses.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
One of my friends was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. His employer's life insurance provides for a one time 50% withdrawal in cases of terminal illness. My question is, does he have to pay taxes on this and can my creditors take this money from me?
Employer provided life insurance is generally term insurance which does not have a cash accumulation.

I suggest you have your friend come here with his insurance paperwork in front of him so we don't get secondhand misinformation. Or, he can talk to a tax pro.

Meantime, ignore the other response.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
LJJ

Many life insurance policies offer “accelerated death benefits,” which allow policyholders who have been diagnosed with a terminal illness to access a portion of the policy’s death benefit while they are still alive. These benefits may be available for both term life insurance policies, which last for a certain number of years but have no cash value, and permanent life insurance policies (such as whole life), which remain in force for as long as you pay the premiums and build cash value that you can withdraw or borrow against.

Often it is not taxable. An expert has to review the policy and state tax law.

His creditors could try to take it, but many states have exemption statutes that protect such funds.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

Normally those funds are exempted and tax free. Further, your creditors could to take that money from you as you are only the custodian.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
My question is, does he have to pay taxes on this and can my creditors take this money from me?
What do YOU have to do with it that any creditor would take YOUR money???
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
Miranda77

Maybe the questioner is a/the beneficiary of the insurance policy.

That's what it sounds like to me.