Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Divorce, Separation, Annulment

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
tazz10
tazz10's Flag is: United States

Default she refuses to give me my cat

I need help it may seem like a small issue but it's not.

Me and my ex girlfriend just broke up today we have been together for a while for about 6 months she has been keeping my cat at her house because I moved somewhere were I was not allowed to have animals and now that we've broken up she refuses to give me my cat although she doesn't want to keep it she said that she is giving it to someone to be a farm cat and is doing this out of pure meanness. Like idk if I could call the police if they could do anything I don't know .
tazz10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: she refuses to give me my cat

The police won't do anything. They will call it a civil matter and they will be right.

You'll have to sue her for the return of your property. Yes, pets are property, like your car or TV set.

You'll have to check your small claims court rules to see if a lawsuit for the return of property (replevin) is allowed.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 03:02 AM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

I wish to inform you that cat custody battles can be pursued in regular civil trial court or through the use of a mediator. If you fear harm to the cat, you may even obtain a restraining order. The laws of your state will have jurisdiction in the matter. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 05:09 AM   #4
Unregistered

Small claims court will be easiest.

And the court can order her to NOT take the cat to a farm and to return the cat to you OR pay a steep fine/amount for failing to do so.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Small claims court will be easiest.
Only if that court allows lawsuits for the return of property (replevin). Otherwise the OP will have to sue for the market value of the cat, which is minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
And the court can order her to NOT take the cat to a farm and to return the cat to you OR pay a steep fine/amount for failing to do so.
In a way, yes, if the defendant disobeys an order to return the cat, the defendant can be found to be in contempt of court and fined for it.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 06:06 AM   #6
Lexus
Top Level Member

If you are in a position to keep the cat with you a police complaint is good to retain the cat from your girlfriend. The police will inquire the case and will take necessary action.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
wanda 389

I doubt your ex will want all of this court time.
Let her know you are prepared to act and that alone may cause her to compromise.