Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
ehm2013

Unhappy Infestation - North Carolina

I currently live in a 1 bedroom/1 bath apartment in Eastern NC. I moved in about 6 months ago, and I signed a 1 year lease. My apartment was renovated right before I moved in. After about a month or so, I started noticing that there were cockroaches in parts of my apartment. (Mainly the kitchen, but some had migrated to the bathroom as well.) I keep my apartment very clean, and I understand the importance of being cleanly on a ground floor apartment in damp, humid environment. I immediately added my name to the list for pest control. He comes every Thursday to my complex. He has personally visited my apartment 6 times since I've bee here. So basically once a month when needed. Its warming up here, and within the past 3 months the number of roaches I've seen has multiplied. I'm killing anywhere from 6-10 cockroaches a DAY(during the DAY not at night.) I'm disgusted and to a point where I'm so overwhelmed I cry at the very least twice a week. My apartment was treated for German Cockroaches about a week ago, and I swept a dustpan full of roaches out of my kitchen floor. They've already come back. On another note, I basically pay for amenities here. However, the outdoor pool was out of commission from September to November last year, then it closed. The heater on the indoor pool went out in December and wasn't fixed until early February. And the card reader in the laundry facility hasn't worked in 2 weeks and they don't know when they will get it fixed. I feel cheated. I pay $821 a month for 1 bedroom/ 1 bath. I'm in pre-licensing to get my Broker's License, and I work a full time job. I know I have the Implied Warranty of Habitability, but I want to know what my options are.
Thanks.
ehm2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #2
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Infestation - North Carolina

It sounds like you need to formally notify the landlord of the severity of the infestation being more than normal and personally, I would buy and bug bomb the place myself thoroughly. Though it could be argued one of your visitors or you brought the infestation, it sounds more like the infestation has resulted in a large nest in a wall and the treatments are killing those on the surface, while making more active those deeper in the nest..

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
gail in georgia
Top Level Member

Since you indicate you reside in an apartment, the question should be asked as to whether the entire building is treated each time the pest control guy comes around.
If your neighbors also have roaches your place may be treated only to have their roaches take the place.
What do you want to happen? In terms of habitability a non-working pool and card reader for the laundry room are inconveniences but they do not make the rental unit uninhabitable. Continued pest issues could be; however, it certainly sounds like management is making the attempt to address these since they have sent someone out on a monthly basis for the last six months you have resided there.
Does the pest control person only spray or are they using products such as baits to reduce the population of these awful critters. Some of the products at Do My Own Pest Control provide some good bait choices to help break the cycle on roaches.
gail in georgia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
DavidDennis

Pest infestation is really painful, therefore regular pest control treatment should be considered (yalepest.com)
DavidDennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #5
Randie31

Take pictures of the roaches, get at least four copies of each picture you take. Write a letter to your landlord stating that the roach issue is not being remedied with the measures being taken and that this is a sanitary issue as roaches are known for spreading disease. Inform them if the situation is not remedied within thirty days you will be forced to take other measures to remedy the problem such as hiring your own pest control professional and deducting said cost from rent, putting rent in escrow, or termination of lease due to vermin infestation. Inform her you are also sending a copy of the letter to the local board of health, include your name and address. Send a copy to landlord and to board of health via certified mail. Always certified mail. Include copies of pics with each letter you send. Keep other two copies for your own records. Make of certified mail receipts just in case you loose original. These are not bedbugs where landlords can get away with not treating the problem, these are roaches and they have to treat the problem because roaches are known for carrying disease. If she does not remedy the issue do one of the three mentioned above, hire pco to treat sue her for the cost and make sure you get itemized receipts from pco, put rent in escrow, or move and sue for security deposit. You do not have to tolerance this.
Randie31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Randie it is obvious you are not from the US. These issues are common in all warm weather climates. One should be reasonable when trying to get a landlord to be more aggressive. As the landlord is responding all your advice will do is cause them eviction. Roaches are not considered life threatening and do not constitute a reason to withhold rent.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
MaxnD
MaxnD's Flag is: United States

1.Clean, clean and clean again.
2.Seal up cracks and holes.
3.Fix any water leaks.
4. Make your own, natural cockroach bait.
5.Bring in the experts.
6.Keep your space as cool as possible.
You said that you already have a pest controller. You can still visit them www.theeliminator.com.au
Hope this helps!
MaxnD is offline   Reply With Quote