Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Class Actions and Defective Products

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
Unregistered

Default Re: Class action lawsuit against Northern Leasing Systems, Inc.

My "lease" ended in 2003. Without the benefit of receiving any notice, SKS Associates debited my bank account on 4/1/11 for $75.60. When I called them I got the same story about it being for property taxes that they paid on my equipment in 2003 and that just showed up in their audit this year. I never had any equipment. All my processing was done online and I never even had any software on my computer. They were a total rip-off then and still are today! I asked them to send me the paperwork explaining how I owe this money. Are we taking bets on whether I ever receive it? I know one thing, I'm disputing this charge with my bank.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #22
flabbergasted

I am amazed that this company can get away these types of business practices. Though I am sure the legality is borderline, they have found a loophole which allows them to screw hard working Americans. They want and get something for nothing. In tough times like we are having in our economy these types of people and companies will continue to pop up. I would like to know what we can do about it! Is there a watchdog agency that can stop this abuse? Leasing companies in my opinion are in general "thieves" You pay top dollar for it for specified time, then 5 yrs later after your lease was satisfied they come back and charge you some more because there business is hurting and they found a new way to screw you. If they get away with it, this type of abuse will become common practice for this and many other unscrupulous companies. I personally satisfied the terms of my lease more than six years ago and returned my equipment in perfect condition. They recently, apparently "performed an internal audit" and state that I had not paid certain fees or taxes on said equipment and promptly took the money from my account. No I did not get any advance notice, nor was there any invoice stating what the charges were for. It totally came out of the blue. I wish I could go back and charge people that I didn't feel payed me enough! Though I would not because I have a problem screwing people that actually full-filled their obligations. This company does not. They can label it anyway they want, but it still boils down to stealing. They just found a way to put a legal term to it.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #23
flabbergasted

I live in California and posted here earlier today, I then read over all of the posts that people had been complaining about the same company and the same types of fees. I would like to put this and all other companies that think this type of practice will be tolerated, out of business and fined heavily for their actions. I am hoping this will reach everyone that has had this same problem with the company SKS Associates, aka the auditing company for Northern Leasing Equipment. Since this company stated to a formal client there is no time limit or statute of limitations applying to this so called tax charge they are imposing. I ask that anyone that has ever done business with this company and has had the same experience, please notify me at the enclosed email. Since there is no limitation, I am asking for anyone, even it was 20 years ago. though I doubt they were in business then. I will find out though. I will be seeking punitive damages from this company, which I will share equally with all plaintiffs.

Please email me at matrixnavigator@yahoo.com

I understand the company will probably send hate mail also, so please do, I look forward to your responses.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #24
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabbergasted View Post
I am amazed that this company can get away these types of business practices. Though I am sure the legality is borderline, they have found a loophole which allows them to screw hard working Americans. They want and get something for nothing. In tough times like we are having in our economy these types of people and companies will continue to pop up. I would like to know what we can do about it! Is there a watchdog agency that can stop this abuse? Leasing companies in my opinion are in general "thieves" You pay top dollar for it for specified time, then 5 yrs later after your lease was satisfied they come back and charge you some more because there business is hurting and they found a new way to screw you. If they get away with it, this type of abuse will become common practice for this and many other unscrupulous companies. I personally satisfied the terms of my lease more than six years ago and returned my equipment in perfect condition. They recently, apparently "performed an internal audit" and state that I had not paid certain fees or taxes on said equipment and promptly took the money from my account. No I did not get any advance notice, nor was there any invoice stating what the charges were for. It totally came out of the blue. I wish I could go back and charge people that I didn't feel payed me enough! Though I would not because I have a problem screwing people that actually full-filled their obligations. This company does not. They can label it anyway they want, but it still boils down to stealing. They just found a way to put a legal term to it.

Your bank MUST reverse the withdrawal if you tell the bank you did not authorize it and do not agree with it! Which you don't! All of these withdrawals CAN BE REVERSED---THE BANK must DO IT. It is the law.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #25
Unregistered

I (stupidly) signed a 48 month lease with Northern Leasing for a credit card terminal, after 2 years of paying approx. $47.00 a month plus $7.50 for a statement, and hardly using the thing I tried to cancel the contract and was told it would be over a thousand dollars to do so. I am a dog groomer and a very small operation, I didn't have access to that kind of money and was threatend with legal action and adverse credit reporting, so feeling like I had no choice I payed the lease out and never used the machine more than a couple of times. As soon as the lease was satisfied I immediately sent the machine back and cancelled any further obligations (which there were none). The next month I noticed that they charged me the $7.50 statement fee! I called and was told that because I didn't call them before the anniversary date of the original contract that it automatically renewed and I would have to pay the statement fee for the entire year. I DIDN"T even have the machine and could not do any transactions what the H*ll do I need a statement for? She told me I could go ahead and fax them a letter cancelling the statement the next year after I paid the fee for 11 more months. Once again threatened with legal action and adverse credit reporting I paid the $7.50 a month for the additional year without benefit of anything. I did however go ahead and fax the termination letter the very same day.
End of story right?
Noooo, while checking my account balance on Friday, April 8th, 2011 I see a $125.00 charge that I do not recognize which caused two overdraft fees, now I'm mad so I head out to the bank to clear up this mess. Once I get there and she pulls up my account we see that it is an ACH debit under the name of SKS Associates, never heard of them. It was deposited in bank in Phoenix so I call them they tell me I need to call SKS. So I try, once I call the number they ask for my SS# or my phone number, theyr'e not getting my SS# so I continue to put in my ten digit number and each time is omits the final number and I have to start over (IMHO, I believe they were just hoping I'd get frustrated and enter my SS#). After about twenty tries I finally get connected to Alan who barely speaks English that I can understand. He tells me that after an internal review of my account that I owe five cycles of property tax @$25.00 each for a total of $125.00. I tell him that my contract with Northern Leasing had expired over two years ago and that when I returned the machine our business was done. I told him that I had already been to the bank and disputed the charges and they had already been reversed and they would not get another dime because I don' t owe them anything. He insisted that they paid these fees on my behalf and that I must reimburse his company, I told him I never asked anybody to pay anything on my behalf and I don't owe anything! He became agitated and told me there is no statute of limitations on collecting taxes and I am obligated to pay these charges. I continued to tell him I didn't owe them a dime and he stressed over and over that there is no statute of limitations, I told him I was pretty sure that if I truely owed them money they would have been Jack on the spot asking for it they wouldn't have waited over two years. I also asked him where is the bill, I haven't received anything in the mail. He said he would send me a copy of the contract I told him he could send out anything he wants but I have a copy of the contract and if I were him I wouldn't waste the postage. He never answered the question about billing and reverted back to the statement about statutes and then added that he was going to report this to all three credit reporting agencies. I was so angry by now it had become a shouting match he told me I signed a contract and was leagally bound by it, I told him that our contract ended over two years ago and again the statute statement. I told him he couldn't just up and make up false charges two years later, nobody can, and you certainly can't just steal money out of accounts without authorization. He again threatened with the credit bureaus and I told him that due to massive medical bills we are preparing to file bankruptcy and I would put his name on the top line of the creditors, he told me I couldn't do that I have a contract I asked him didn't he think I had contracts with Home Depot, Sears, and Capital One etc.also, and theyr'e not getting any money either and I actually owe them money! After 27 minutes he either gave up or got tired of arguing and told me he would be reporting to the credit bureaus and I told him that he could do what ever he pleases but wouldn't get anymore money from me and he repeated about the credit bureaus and the statute of limitations. I finally had enough and hung up, I have NEVER been so mad. I paid these people a huge amount of money for a machine that could be purchased outright for a fraction of the cost and it would have been mine, I also paid for a statement for an entire year once my merchant account was already closed! I think they owe me money and if there is a way to get it I'm gonna get it!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #26
Unregistered

I have been hoodwinked by these charlatans. My business has been closed over 2 years. I have paid these creeps 2 years. I had my bank deny their charges and they are mad as hornets trying to threaten me with "ruining my credit". I would like to counter sue them for fraud. When I started my business I knew there was NO WAY I would still be in business in 4 years. There is no way I would have signed these contracts.
Furthermore the contract reads that the charge was 50 a month for 48 months but there were many months where my charges were over 100 and this was long after I had closed.
I want to counter sue. My business when OUT - OF - BUSINESS and I hold them responsible.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #27
Unregistered

I too have been charged $125 for "back property taxes" on an account that was closed/paid in full in 2008. Like everyone else, I dealt with fraudulent contracts (we never received the full contract), overcharging and a their continuing to charge us even after we had returned their equipment at the contract's end. After spending 45 minutes on the phone with them, and getting nowhere, I ended up calling my bank and filing a claim for a fraudulent charge.

I am wondering if there is a case that I can become involved in or if anyone can assist me in managing this. I will absolutely not let them do this to us.

Thank you -
Allison Mutlu
mutlulegal@sbcglobal.net

Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #28
Unregistered

I filed a complaint with the Department of Justice - State Attorney General's Office of the State of California as soon as I found the debit from SKS Associates. They responded to the complaint via the DOJ. In that response, they state they bought Northern Leasing and are collecting outstanding unpaid taxes from accounts. However, our account was closed in 2004. Also, Northern Leasing lost a class action in 2008 for fraudulent charges.

Our outcome after following the complaint was they released our company and the personal guarantor from any responsibility, forever. I am paraphrasing.

I suggest anyone experiencing a problem with them should contact their State Attorney General and lodge a complaint.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #29
Rekha

Northern Leasing is taking money from my account in addition to the monthly lease payment (this is the only payment I agreed to) without any notice. They claim it is annual taxes - which i just paid $75 in March, spoke the customer service rep who assured me there would be no more tax charges until 2012 and yet now just last week an additional $25 was withdrawn from my account without my knowledge or permission. Isn't this fraud and illegal? The only letter of notification I ever received was back in January 2011 which stated that $25 for taxes would be withdrawn from my account. Now they have taken out $100 extra on top of my monthly lease payment of $39.19.

There is no way for me to get out of this lease. I have one more year left or I may just pay off the balance so I never have to deal with them again.

Thank you,
Rekha

Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #30
Unregistered

File against them in small claims court where you live. Those tax charges are bogus and fraudulent.

The New York District Attorney has a criminal law investigation open on the entire issue I was told.