Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Other Family Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
BN3847
BN3847's Flag is: United States

Default Who can file to invalidate a will in Texas?

Who can file to invalidate a will in Texas?

Does it have to be a family member or somebody actually named in the will or somebody expecting funds?

I am none of the above but I know the will floating around is not what the deceased wanted and not his final document. But I don't have the final document right now either.
BN3847 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Who can file to invalidate a will in Texas?

Quote:
Does it have to be a family member or somebody actually named in the will or somebody expecting funds?

I am none of the above
Then stay out of it unless you like the idea of spending $10000 to $20000 on attorney fees for a wild goose chase.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

I wish to inform you that the Texas Probate Code defines "interested persons," in relevant part, to be: children, heirs, devisees, spouses, creditors, or any others having a property right in, or claim against, the estate being administered . . ." In order to contest a will, you must be an "interested party." The interest referred to must be a pecuniary one, held by the party either as an individual or in a representative capacity, which will be affected by the probate or defeat of the will. That means you must have a financial interest. An interest resting on sentiment or sympathy, or any other basis other than gain or loss of money or its equivalent, is insufficient.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

Before moving to invalidate the will you should check if there was any witness to the will (in Texas a witness is not necessary to validate the will). If there was one you can gather information to guide you.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote