Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Trials and Sentencing

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2018, 04:19 AM   #1
redrun10
redrun10's Flag is: United States

Default Keyed a car and am awaiting trial

So I keyed a car and am currently awaiting trial for February. Recently I received a letter from the victims attorney asking for 2500 in restitution or I’ll have a lawsuit. If I pay the restitution, that doesn’t clear me with the state does it? My university also has a review upcoming, by paying the victim restitution do I help myself with either of those? If not is there anything I can do proactively to help with those?
redrun10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Keyed a car and am awaiting trial

If you are going to trial I suggest you don't pay anybody anything and don't talk to anybody but your lawyer about it.

Since you admit keying the car I suggest you have your lawyer seek a plea bargain where you can include restitution in the sentencing and get off with a lesser charge.

YOU should not be doing anything, proactive or otherwise. Your lawyer is the one to handle things for you.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

In this regard you can try for a financial settlement with the victim but before that you should consult your lawyer to seek if it would help you in any way.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
Mack10

That does not clear you with the state. The state is a separate issue. But if the victim of the damage feels he has been compensated and made whole it can help in some cases.
Your lawyer could advise if that is the situation here.