• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forum Crew
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Aug 2016
    • United States

Michigan voters said yes to medical marijuana

Michigan voters roll in medical marijuana, causing discomfort for cops, doctors

Posted by Crystal McMorris | The Bay City Times
    November 16, 2008 06:52AM

Michigan voters said yes to medical marijuana by a ratio of nearly 2-1.

And while the law takes effect Dec. 4, details of how it will play out remain hazy among doctors, law enforcement officials and state residents who want to use the drug for medicinal purposes.

The state's Department of Community Health, through its county-level health departments, have been designated to maintain a registry and issue registration cards to patients and "caregivers" who will then be legally allowed to have up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana. The law also allows for patients and their caregivers to grow up to 12 plants, as long as they grown them in an "enclosed, locked facility." The department has until April 4 to have the registry up and running.

But local officials, doctors and patients remain unsure exactly how the new law will play out.

WHAT THE LAW MEANS

Voters have made medical marijuana legal in Michigan, but details about how the law will effect patients and their caregivers remain cloudy. The Michigan Department of Community Health answers some questions:

What does Proposal 1 allow?

Proposal 1 allows patients with a debilitating medical condition to use marijuana after obtaining a registry identification card from Michigan Department of Community Health.

To obtain a registry card, patients must have a written certification from a physician verifying that they have a debilitating medical condition the symptoms of which can be alleviated by marijuana use.

Patients in need of medical assistance in using the medical marijuana may designate a primary caregiver who will also be allowed to grow and possess marijuana.

How much marijuana can patients and their caregivers have at one time?

A registered patient shall not be arrested or prosecuted for the possession of 2.5 ounces or less of marijuana and 12 additional plants in an enclosed, locked facility.

A registered caregiver shall not be arrested or prosecuted for assisting a patient to whom he or she is connected through the department's registry.

Each caregiver may have up to 2.5 ounces of "usable" marijuana and 12 plants per patient.
    More info:
    Michigan voters roll in medical marijuana, causing discomfort for cops, doctors - Bay City Times - MLive.com

Voters say yes to medical marijuana - A2 Politics - The Ann Arbor News - MLive.com
  • Unregistered

Legal marijuana poses pot puzzle

Posted By: Jessica Puchala

Though medical marijuana soon will be legal in Michigan, patients and their caregivers still will have to break the law to get it, at least the first time.

Proposal 1 will allow approved patients and their caretakers to possess and grow the drug, but there won't be a legal way to get marijuana seeds or seedlings.

"How do you get from point A to point B? There is no law that protects you there," said James McCurtis, a spokesman for the Michigan Department of Community Health, "and we are not giving any advice on how you get your marijuana."

It's a gray area that's common to most of the 13 states that have passed medical marijuana initiatives. California is alone in allowing "dispensaries" to sell marijuana on a nonprofit basis.

And "like many things in the world that happen in a legal gray area, it seems to happen without a great deal of difficulty," said Bruce Mirken, communications director at the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, D.C.

"It's unfortunate that there are limits right now to what a state can do," he added.

With the possession, distribution and sale of marijuana still illegal under federal law," Mirken said, "If you set up a full scale distribution system for seeds or seedlings, you run the risk of running afoul of the feds."

Lynn Allen is getting ready to cultivate his own marijuana plants.

The 52-year-old Williamston man, who has the bleeding disorder hemophilia and HIV, contracted from a tainted blood transfusion, bought a book. He is researching which strains of marijuana might work best for his condition.

But the lack of protection for those buying seeds "does disturb me a bit," he said. "I don't know offhand how we'll deal with that unless they turn a blind eye to it."

That's something that Lansing Police Chief Mark Alley said he won't do.

"We don't plan on turning our backs on illegal behavior," he said.

Still, there are apparently plenty of people in the state interested in participating in the program.

"We've been getting calls ever since Nov. 5," McCurtis said, "because a lot of people think the day after the election that the law goes into effect right away.

It doesn't. The Department of Community Health has until April 4 to put rules in place for administering the program. After that, it will take another 20 days or so to process the first requests, McCurtis said.

For more information, click the link below....

Legal marijuana poses pot puzzle | wzzm13.com | Grand Rapids, MI

Comment

• cospak
      • Mar 2013

Re: Michigan voters said yes to medical marijuana

Thanks for such rich information

Comment

• goddessoflubboc
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Nov 2011

You should stick to posting on more timely threads. Necroposting is rarely of value.

Comment

• UserNameHere
          ☆☆
          • Oct 2013

Aren't we up to like 12 or 14 states now that have legalized medical marijuana? I remember that stuff making unambitious good-for-nothings out of my high school friends (that being the only time I've had exposure to the stuff), but it can't be worse than all these addictive benzos they dish out. When big pharma finds out how to really profit from it, it'll become available everywhere. Hard to obtain chemical patents on a plant.

Comment

• Unregistered

I think it s all super groovy. It helps us all to feel love.
            Long live hemp!

Welcome OHIO!

Comment

• lisa67

The last thing most states need is more people smoking marijuana.
              Wine is for pleasure of taste with dinner, mj is just to get you high!

Comment

But what is the situation now with federal law?
                Is it the same as MI law now?
                If not why don't the feds crack down on the lawmakers.
                I don't understand this whole situation.

Madge

Comment

it is NOT legal under federal law--it is still a crime--so take your chance dude

Comment

as you all can see it has not caused any problem, it should have been done 30 years ago

Comment

both medical and recreational now available -- what took so long and how may people in prison for those crazy past laws

Comment

• karlowow
                        • Aug 2022
                        • United States

Originally posted by cospak

Thanks for such rich information
                        It was very helpful for me at one time to cope with anxiety and also to improve the condition of my skin and look healthy in general. I searched all needed things there and also I have some really good cbd products, that resolved my problems with insomnia. https://wayofleaf.com/Moreover, it helps you with injuries, inflamations and muscle relaxation. There are a lot of concentrates in different products for better health and so on that improve the condition and help get rid of a lot of problems. Let me know if everything is OK.

Comment

I'm not sure it was such a great decision, I have to say, everywhere I go I see these kids spaced out and now it's legal, I'm just really not sure it's the best path we should have taken.

Comment

... Because now we have the recreational as well...

Comment

And now I smell it everywhere, even in the barbershop some people come in wreaking of smoke smell. I'm not sure whether it was the right decision - I guess time will tell...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

Do birds chirp or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...