Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Other Family Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Unregistered

I NEED TO KNOW THE AGE TO MOVE OUT AT 17!!! ITS AN EMERGENCY!!!

Hi my name is christie, I am going to be 17 in three months, and I told my mom that I was going to move out when I turned that age. She told me that I wasnt going anywhere!!!! I need to know whether or not I am allowed to move out at 17 without being reported as a runaway...

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Unregistered

Re: I NEED TO KNOW THE AGE TO MOVE OUT AT 17!!! ITS AN EMERGENCY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi my name is christie, I am going to be 17 in three months, and I told my mom that I was going to move out when I turned that age. She told me that I wasnt going anywhere!!!! I need to know whether or not I am allowed to move out at 17 without being reported as a runaway...
I also forgot to mention that I live in the state of Texas!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: I NEED TO KNOW THE AGE TO MOVE OUT AT 17!!! ITS AN EMERGENCY!!!

Yes you can move out at 17 in texas even though 18 is the rightful age at 17 cops can not forcfully take you back home and your mother cant report you as a runaway all they will do is make you call her and tell her your ok and safe. But if you move out you have to show you can take care of yourself and live in a perment place and you still have to go to school.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Unregistered

Also call your police station to confirm!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Unregistered

Exclamation Re: I NEED TO KNOW THE AGE TO MOVE OUT AT 17!!! ITS AN EMERGENCY!!!

i just asked my grand mother this morning what was the age i can move out and she said 18 but my dad told me 17 i need to know if i can move out then im 15 years old and got lots of goals i also live in south carolina so if some body knows please tell me thank you

Old 01-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
Unregistered

Call the police and ask--I think it is 18 where you are?

Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Unregistered

im 14 and live in illinois my dad has custody of me . at what age can i make a decision on who i want to live with. i want to live with my mom and step dad.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
randalljd
Top Level Member

Check with social services to confirm, but in most states your input is just one factor.
randalljd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes you can move out at 17 in texas even though 18 is the rightful age at 17 cops can not forcfully take you back home and your mother cant report you as a runaway all they will do is make you call her and tell her your ok and safe. But if you move out you have to show you can take care of yourself and live in a perment place and you still have to go to school.
Many people, for whatever reason, believe that a 17 year old is considered an adult. NO state considers anybody under the age of 18 as a legal adult. Although you can be charged and prosecuted as an adult, the Family Code defines a child as a minor under the age of 18. Chapter 63 of the Code of Criminal Procedure requires a law enforcement officer, upon locating an unemancipated 17 year old who has been reported as a missing child, to return the child to their entitled possessors or the Department of Protective and Regulatory Services. The detention of an unemancipated 17 year old does not violate any constitutional rights. A law enforcement officer may also use force to take possession of a missing child.

If you do decide to run away with a friend or boyfriend and you are reported as a missing child, your friend and/or his parents or anybody that helps you run away may be prosecuted for Harboring a Runaway Child. This is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable up to a $4, 000 fine and/or up to one year in prison.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Unregistered

Many people, for whatever reason, believe that a 17 year old is considered an adult. NO state considers anybody under the age of 18 as a legal adult. Although you can be charged and prosecuted as an adult, the Family Code defines a child as a minor under the age of 18. Chapter 63 of the Code of Criminal Procedure requires a law enforcement officer, upon locating an unemancipated 17 year old who has been reported as a missing child, to return the child to their entitled possessors or the Department of Protective and Regulatory Services. The detention of an unemancipated 17 year old does not violate any constitutional rights. A law enforcement officer may also use force to take possession of a missing child.

If you do decide to run away with your boyfriend and you are reported as a missing child, he and/or his parents or anybody that helps you run away may be prosecuted for Harboring a Runaway Child. This is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable up to a $4, 000 fine and/or up to one year in prison.