Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Buying and Selling Property

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 12:06 AM   #1
djft6
djft6's Flag is: United States

Default forged signature on a closed case concerning the mortgage

State: Florida

I have a forged signature on a closed case concerning the mortgage note. What should I do?

It was suggested that I take it to the local police and let them take a case number and copies of the forged signatures. Would this be the correct thing to do?
djft6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 12-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
Wenton2
Top Level Member
Wenton2's Flag is: United States

Default Re: forged signature on a closed case concerning the mortgage

You certainly can do that.

What is you real goal? If you want to attempt to invalidate some signed documents the matter will have to be in the courts at some point.

Of course if the person is charged with signature fraud that may make it easier in the court for you. There are a lot of factors to consider in these kinds of issues and we do not have your details here. It is not always quite as easy as you may think.
Wenton2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

I wish to inform you that Florida Statutes Section 831.01 has jurisdiction in this matter. Further, a person commits forgery when, with intent to injure or defraud any person, he or she "falsely makes, alters, forges or counterfeits" any written instrument specified in the state forgery statute. The burden to prove forgery will be on you. Florida classifies basic forgery as a felony of the third degree with sentences up to five years in jail, five years probation, $5,000 in fines. You may contact the law enforcement agencies and seek guidance. Alternatively, you may seek guidance from an attorney.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

It is good to inform the law enforcement regarding the forgery so that you can avoid any issues related to the document.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Without knowing the nature of the signature OR your ultimate goal, there is no way anyone can really advise you. If you are trying to default on a mortgage, it is unlikely such an issue, on the part of a lender will be significant as it does not change the meeting of the minds regarding the terms.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote