Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Other Family Law Matters > Adoption Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
joana53

Default Can I adopt my friends children?

I was there the whole time since she was pregnant had the baby until she was 7 months old. now a lady wants to take them away from her and i really think is not fair because i took care of the baby as if it was my own blood. i am currently married and in a good house. i can't have babies and am willing to adopt them so they can have a better life.
joana53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default re: Can I adopt my friends children?

I wish to inform you that generally parent have a right to have child custody. In this regard if you intend to have child custody then you may seek a court order to grant you child custody as it is in best interest of child. As lady has not taken care of child thus child only knows you and is attached to you. You may further argue that child should be treated as abandoned by lady and you may be treated as guardian of child.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I adopt my friends children?

Firstly, where is the biological father? He has to be served with the adoption papers. The father's parental rights would have to be terminated. Actually both biological parents will have to consent to have their parental rights terminated. Otherwise you should allege that both parents are unfit. Anyways if the child is available for adoption then there is a procedure for the same. Where the parties agree, it is not too difficult. If the Courts deem you to be a fit parent then you should be able to adopt the child. You would need a lawyer to help you through the system.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
Unregistered

the mother of the children is asking me to go to court with her.the lady that took away her children came in my house took both children and the mother lying to her that she was gonna help her. And put her against me this was a year ago now the mother realize that it was s lie to get the children away from her. the mother has no family and my family and i are the closest to a family to her.what i should take to court to prove that the babies are going to be ok with me and that i deserved to have them as my children

Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Firstly, where is the biological father? He has to be served with the adoption papers. The father's parental rights would have to be terminated. Actually both biological parents will have to consent to have their parental rights terminated. Otherwise you should allege that both parents are unfit. Anyways if the child is available for adoption then there is a procedure for the same. Where the parties agree, it is not too difficult. If the Courts deem you to be a fit parent then you should be able to adopt the child. You would need a lawyer to help you through the system.
the father of the children were not found at all.am afraid that the lady that took the babies is gonna keep the children because she thinks that with money she has power over anything

Old 04-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by joana53 View Post
I was there the whole time since she was pregnant had the baby until she was 7 months old. now a lady wants to take them away from her and i really think is not fair because i took care of the baby as if it was my own blood. i am currently married and in a good house. i can't have babies and am willing to adopt them so they can have a better life.
you have no rights or standing to do anything youre a legal stranger to this child. unless both of the parents agree you are not going to be adopting this child

Old 04-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
Basirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joana53 View Post
my dear my advice 4 u is dnt just keep on prayin God wil gve u ur own

Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the father of the children were not found at all.am afraid that the lady that took the babies is gonna keep the children because she thinks that with money she has power over anything
Who is this "lady" who took the children? Was it a state official from the department of children and families? A child welfare worker?

You need a lawyer if you want to assert an interest in adoption. The father must be notified, even if a posting to "unknown father" in the local papers. You need direct legal advice and help if you want to have any hope of adopting the children.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Jamie
Jamie's Flag is: Canada

Are your friends (the parents) willing to give up the children? Do you have a lawyer? It seems like regardless of anything you should be talking to a lawyer...
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote