Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Car Accident Claims

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
dpapaguy

Rear-ended twice in two months. What should I do for second rear-end

Hi, I am new to this forum and I hope someone would help me figure out this. I was rear-ended few months ago and I settled the claim with the insurance company of the other driver but I had not repaired my car yet. Now another car rear-ended me this week at exactly same place. I've got the insurance information of that driver and would like to know if I can file another claim. Any response is kindly appreciated.
dpapaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default re: Rear-ended twice in two months. What should I do for second rear-end

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapaguy View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum and I hope someone would help me figure out this. I was rear-ended few months ago and I settled the claim with the insurance company of the other driver but I had not repaired my car yet. Now another car rear-ended me this week at exactly same place. I've got the insurance information of that driver and would like to know if I can file another claim. Any response is kindly appreciated.
Call your agent. Since you have not yet had the car repaired that will certainly be an issue.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
sandyclaus

Default re: Rear-ended twice in two months. What should I do for second rear-end

Quote:
If you've already settled with the insurance company on the 1st accident claim already, then why haven't you used that money to repair the vehicle before now?

The problem you have now is that because you didn't use the settlement money to fix the car, you have no way to prove what damages were caused by which accident. That's exactly what the insurance company is going to say, and why filing that 2nd claim is almost a waste of time.

The insurance company certainly isn't going to pay you a second time for the same damages. Your insurance company is going to want proof that you got the car fixed after the first accident for that to happen.

Quite honestly, chances are that little or no damages resulted from the 2nd accident if you can't tell the difference, and there is no claim to make that hasn't already been made.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
dpapaguy

Hi, thanks. yes there is a difference between the first and second accident. After first accident, I showed my car to a local mechanic and he was going to fix it instead of replacing the whole bumper. But this time it looks like the bumper may need replacement. I was going to get it fixed last week but couldn't get time due to some personal errands and now this second incident happened. The insurance company for the second insurance is not the same thought. Will that matter?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
sandyclaus

Quote:
Hi, thanks. yes there is a difference between the first and second accident. After first accident, I showed my car to a local mechanic and he was going to fix it instead of replacing the whole bumper. But this time it looks like the bumper may need replacement. I was going to get it fixed last week but couldn't get time due to some personal errands and now this second incident happened. The insurance company for the second insurance is not the same thought. Will that matter?
The bumper only needs replacing because of the accumulation of damage. The 2nd insurance company isn't going to front the bill to replace a bumper that was already damaged.

If you're hoping that the 2nd insurance company doesn't know or learn about the 1st accident, and you're hoping for a double payout, I'd think twice. The insurance companies do cooperate and share information. That's just NOT going to happen. You aren't going to get a sudden windfall of extra cash out of this.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
dpapaguy

Yes, i am aware that the insurance companies can pull previous accident information from their databases. I will contact the second insurance company anyway and have them look at my car and then compare it with the information from the previous accident. If they determined the second accident made no difference, I wouldn't mind it. But if they were able to open their vault a little bit and showed some generousity to me, I wouldn't mind either. What do you folks think?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

I think you a possibly entering the realm of insurance fraud and should allow the insurance companies to decide based on all evidence.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
sandyclaus

Quote:
Yes, i am aware that the insurance companies can pull previous accident information from their databases. I will contact the second insurance company anyway and have them look at my car and then compare it with the information from the previous accident. If they determined the second accident made no difference, I wouldn't mind it. But if they were able to open their vault a little bit and showed some generousity to me, I wouldn't mind either. What do you folks think?
"Generosity" doesn't even enter into the equation - and it shouldn't. I certainly don't pay higher insurance premiums just so that the insurance company can be "generous" with paying claims. I pay those premiums so that the insurance company can evaluate an accident and pay EXACTLY what it's worth - and not a penny more.

I, too, believe that you are trying to profit from the 2nd accident by somehow convincing the new insurance company that part or all of that damage that resulted happened in the 2nd accident and not the 1st. You've already been paid for the damages from the 1st. Don't be greedy. As I said before, insurance payouts are not intended to be windfalls from which to profit.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Unregistered

This is completely understandable. I am in the same situation! My boyfriend and I are insured on the same car. He originally got rear ended at a stop light. He was stopped and the car tried to go left and we had damage to the drivers side bumper. We filed the claim, police report, and the insurance company instructed us to find a mechanic. My boyfriend was working and had made an appointment a week out.
I was driving with my 10 month old in the back seat. We were about to enter a traffic circle from the highway, obviously this SUV didn't slow down soon enough, hit my Camry, and pushed us into the traffic circle! To make things worse I took the first exit and they entered and kept going. It literally became a car chase. I was on the side of them, they matched my speed so I jumped in front to get the plate numbers. Made the police report but am afraid about the claims.
The second accident is in the middle and passenger side of my bumper, my license plate, and the top of my trunk.
The first claim they took pictures. I could just go to the mechanic but he will charge more for more damage. Not to mention I think this crazy lady should pay because I have a baby on board sign and she clearly refused to stop! It's sad

Old 08-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
maywest

Default Re: Rear-ended twice in two months. What should I do for second rear-end

So what is it that you are trying to do now then? After that second accident?