Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > Law Schools and Law Students > I'm a Law Student

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
forum_admin
Forum Administrator
forum_admin's Flag is: United States

Default On Going Solo: Don't Do It, But if You Must . . .

by WSJ.com

Writing in the Texas Lawyer, a solo practitioner provides tips on setting up a successful solo practice.

Throughout the months, we've done some writing on the pros and cons of young lawyers setting up solo legal practices. To the degree we've reached a position on the idea, it would probably be this: that while it's probably not for everyone, it can be done.

But maybe it's time to revisit that take. At least Scott K. Field would want it that way. Field is a solo practitioner in Austin, Texas, who advises no one to follow his path, at least not right out of law school.

More...
forum_admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Jamie
Jamie's Flag is: Canada

Default Re: On Going Solo: Don’t Do It, But if You Must . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_admin View Post
by WSJ.com

Writing in the Texas Lawyer, a solo practitioner provides tips on setting up a successful solo practice.

Throughout the months, we've done some writing on the pros and cons of young lawyers setting up solo legal practices. To the degree we've reached a position on the idea, it would probably be this: that while it's probably not for everyone, it can be done.

But maybe it's time to revisit that take. At least Scott K. Field would want it that way. Field is a solo practitioner in Austin, Texas, who advises no one to follow his path, at least not right out of law school.

More...
Interestingly, when I was quite young, I worked for a solo practitioner who was really great at it but just got tired of "hustling" everyday. She ended up joining a small firm and then moving back out on her own. Seems she liked being solo more than working with others! LOL
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
Ron D

Default Re: On Going Solo: Don't Do It, But if You Must . . .

Young lawyers need the training and discipline of working with other lawyers.

I personally do not think ANY lawyer should start on his or her own. They can't possibly have all the skills needed. Just my opinion.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron D View Post
Young lawyers need the training and discipline of working with other lawyers.

I personally do not think ANY lawyer should start on his or her own. They can't possibly have all the skills needed. Just my opinion.
I second that opinion. It is next to impossible to train yourself on the job the first few years.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Unregistered

Not only is it hard to train yourself but you have to be selling yourself all the time too, looking for business.
It is much easier to start out with others and THEN go solo if you wish.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:48 AM   #6
global2016
global2016's Flag is: Kiribati

Agree 100%
global2016 is offline   Reply With Quote