Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody and Support

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
twitch528

Default Can aunt and uncle get custody in Texas

My wife and I are considering trying to get custody of our niece. She will be 3 in just a few months. In total she has lived with us for at least 70% of her life. The mother is in and out of jail and abuses alcohol and prescription medication. The biological father was recently found and the mother signed over visitation to him which basically allows him to have custody of her every 1st 3rd and 5th weekends, all summer and alternating holidays with only 6 supervised visits before he starts getting her overnight. The child has only seen the father on 2 or 3 occasions. Is there anyway possible that my wife and I could step in and get custody of the child or at least get primary custodian? The mother is also scheduled to serve a year in jail in the upcoming months.
twitch528 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
twitch528

Default Re: Can aunt and uncle get custody in Texas

I guess I should clarify that the mother of the child is my wifes niece.
twitch528 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
130smartchick
Top Level Member

The father has the primary right to residential custody when mom is unable to raise the child.

You would have to be able to prove dad unfit to be successful at obtaining custody. I would suggest instead you work with dad. Do not impede his visitation and he may be amenable to leaving the child with you for now.
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

I do not see any reason you would be able to get legal custody as neither parent has been legally determined to be unfit, by CS. You are in essence a free babysitter.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
markwilson12

Hi,

You can be primary custodian of your niece only if her parents agree for it. If they don't agree, you can't get it.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch528 View Post
My wife and I are considering trying to get custody of our niece. She will be 3 in just a few months. In total she has lived with us for at least 70% of her life. The mother is in and out of jail and abuses alcohol and prescription medication. The biological father was recently found and the mother signed over visitation to him which basically allows him to have custody of her every 1st 3rd and 5th weekends, all summer and alternating holidays with only 6 supervised visits before he starts getting her overnight. The child has only seen the father on 2 or 3 occasions. Is there anyway possible that my wife and I could step in and get custody of the child or at least get primary custodian? The mother is also scheduled to serve a year in jail in the upcoming months.
Yes, it is possible. You need to file a Suit Affecting the Parent Child Relationship. I'm going through this with my nephews. Good luck! https://texaslawhelp.org/toolkit/sapcr-i-need-custody-order-i-am-not-childs-parent

Old 11-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #7
Lexus
Top Level Member

In this case most probably the court will consider the pleadings of the biological father as the mother is not against the custody of the child by the biological father. It is good to consult a lawyer in this matter.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote