Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Government and Administrative Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Jadeeeeeeeeee

Default Leaving home when I'm 17 - Texas

Okay people are telling me I can move out when I turn 17 is this true? I want to leave my house and I want to know if that's ok when I'm 17. And if I do will my mom call the cops? and can the cops do anything about it?
Because when your 17 your an adult. And can I still register in school?
And I live in TEXAS and the year is 2013.

Please answer fast and be honest.
Jadeeeeeeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Default re: Leaving home when I'm 17 - Texas

In Texas the police will not force you to return at 17. I live in Texas and encountered this with my oldest.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Jadeeeeeeeeee

So I can leave without anyone bringing me back home when I'm 17???

Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

That is what I said. This is assuming you can care for yourself, you may wish to find out how difficult that is before taking off.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Jadeeeeeeeeee

But how do you know if I can leave when I'm 17? Aren't you just a parent? Your not the government. I don't know if your being serious or not.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Here is the catch, if you leave, the police might not bring you back. Whether you could register yourself for school is another matter entirely. As you are a minor, you require parental permission to register. If you are arrested, expect your parents to leave you there.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Jadeeeeeeeeee

But I thought when your 17 years of age the cops can't do anything like arrest you or take you back home!!!??

Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
sandyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadeeeeeeeeee View Post
But I thought when your 17 years of age the cops can't do anything like arrest you or take you back home!!!??
In just about any state, you CAN be arrested as a runaway, and returned to your home if you are underage. In Texas, the police do not enforce that as a matter of policy.

That being said, however, it is STILL against the law to harbor a runaway in Texas:
Quote:
CHAPTER 25. OFFENSES AGAINST THE FAMILY

ยง 25.06. HARBORING RUNAWAY CHILD.
(a) A person commits an offense if he knowingly harbors a child and he is criminally negligent about whether the child:
(1) is younger than 18 years; and
(2) has escaped from the custody of a peace officer, a probation officer, the Texas Youth Council, or a detention facility for children, or is voluntarily absent from the child's home without the consent of the child's parent or guardian for a substantial length of time or without the intent to return.
(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor was related to the child within the second degree by consanguinity or affinity, as determined under Chapter 573, Government Code.
(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor notified:
(1) the person or agency from which the child escaped or a law enforcement agency of the presence of the child within 24 hours after discovering that the child had escaped from custody; or
(2) a law enforcement agency or a person at the child's home of the presence of the child within 24 hours after discovering that the child was voluntarily absent from home without the consent of the child's parent or guardian.
(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(e) On the receipt of a report from a peace officer, probation officer, the Texas Youth Council, a foster home, or a detention facility for children that a child has escaped its custody or upon receipt of a report from a parent, guardian, conservator, or legal custodian that a child is missing, a law enforcement agency shall immediately enter a record of the child into the National Crime Information Center.
If you MUST move out, choose very carefully. The person with whom you end up living, if your parents don't approve, can end up in jail themselves for helping you out.
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadeeeeeeeeee View Post
But how do you know if I can leave when I'm 17? Aren't you just a parent? Your not the government . I don't know if your being serious or not.
Then why did you come here to ask? If you want an answer from a cop, call THEM.

Yes I'm JUST a parent. A parent who threw everything she had at the *government* that refused to force her 17 year old child with uncontrolled bipolar to come home.

Stay put. You are far too immature to care for yourself.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
sandyclaus

Default Re: Leaving home when I'm 17 - Texas

If you have to ask, regardless of the answer, it's probably not a very good idea.

The only sure solution is to become emancipated.

So why are you in such a hurry to move out? (Who wants to bet that there's a boyfriend out there that her parents don't like and won't let her see?)
sandyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote