Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Traffic and Speeding Tickets

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Torgar

Default Refugio, TX speeding ticket - speed trap

Just recently got a speeding ticket in this Tiny town. I would like to preface this by saying that i was in the process of slowing down.

For those unfamiliar with the area the road in and out of town is notorious as it goes 70-55-40-35 as fast as you can keep up.

I've been through many times and always do the exact limit, because of their reputation, with no incidence.

This time I missed the 40, I was passing a semi at the time and it was obscured. I next saw the 35 and began slowing. This officer was seemingly right at the 35 sign just waiting. Stated he clocked me at 51. They want 250 for this, 160 for the speed and 99 for court. I feel this is ridiculous when I was actively in the process of slowing down to conform to the limit.

Anyone have any advice or experience in this area (Refugio, TX) for such a farce?
Torgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 12-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Refugio, TX speeding ticket - speed trap

I wish to inform you that you may draw a sketch of the site and also take photographs. You may conduct Discovery and seek information on the testing and calibration of the radar gun which measured your speed at 51. On the day of the hearing you may reach the court well on time appropriately dressed. You may show all evidence to the court which supports your view point. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
130smartchick
Top Level Member

You were speeding, I am not sure what you hope to accomplish. The fact you travel there frequently and know of the speed limit changes indicates you just felt you would not get caught. You were wrong.
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

I concur. I have had it happen to me, I am sidetracked by something, missed a sign and before I slow for the town to comply with general state law have discovered a police car behind me. Unfortunately, you yourself admit you knew the area. You knew the speed drops and you ignored them. You don't even have the situation I have had, I was unfamiliar with the area, yet it does not change the result. You were legally cited. BTW, for your information, if it were a speed trap, they would be citing vehicles for a few miles over. You were in excess of 15 over.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgar View Post
Just recently got a speeding ticket in this Tiny town. I would like to preface this by saying that i was in the process of slowing down.

For those unfamiliar with the area the road in and out of town is notorious as it goes 70-55-40-35 as fast as you can keep up.

I've been through many times and always do the exact limit, because of their reputation, with no incidence.

This time I missed the 40, I was passing a semi at the time and it was obscured. I next saw the 35 and began slowing. This officer was seemingly right at the 35 sign just waiting. Stated he clocked me at 51. They want 250 for this, 160 for the speed and 99 for court. I feel this is ridiculous when I was actively in the process of slowing down to conform to the limit.

Anyone have any advice or experience in this area (Refugio, TX) for such a farce?
-------------------------------------
I had the same happen to me in Refugio today, though I was NOT speeding. I know how the speed limit declines, though I'd already slowed down to 35 mph long before I received the ticket. (I'm a stickler for speed limits, have never received a speeding ticket, and I've been driving for 41 years! I pass through Refugio often.) I see that Refugio has gone from a bumpy one lane street to a growing & thriving town over the past 2 years. Where does this "sudden" revenue to the city to sink so much money into it come from? Phoney speeding tickets! I had come to an almost complete stop to allow a bus to pull in front of me, picked up to 35 mph (or less) and was cited for going 49 mph! Impossible. I will get an attorney as the little kid cop never asked for my insurance, barely looked at me, grabbed my license and ran back to his vehicle. I was actually afraid for a while that he was not a cop and was going to kidnap me or pull a gun on me.. horrible!!!

Old 03-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #6
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I had the same happen to me in Refugio today...
You posted to a thread that's been dead for two+ YEARS. If you have a legal question start your own thread. These "me too" posts years after the fact are not helping anyone.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
I had the same happen to me in Refugio today, though I was NOT speeding. I know how the speed limit declines, though I'd already slowed down to 35 mph long before I received the ticket. (I'm a stickler for speed limits, have never received a speeding ticket, and I've been driving for 41 years! I pass through Refugio often.) I see that Refugio has gone from a bumpy one lane street to a growing & thriving town over the past 2 years. Where does this "sudden" revenue to the city to sink so much money into it come from? Phoney speeding tickets! I had come to an almost complete stop to allow a bus to pull in front of me, picked up to 35 mph (or less) and was cited for going 49 mph! Impossible. I will get an attorney as the little kid cop never asked for my insurance, barely looked at me, grabbed my license and ran back to his vehicle. I was actually afraid for a while that he was not a cop and was going to kidnap me or pull a gun on me.. horrible!!!
It is kinda ridiculous. The same thing happened to me last week.
Maybe we can do a class action against the town??

Old 03-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Unregistered

It's funny so many people search this issue.
I guess it tells you something...something weird must be going on there.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Unregistered

It's well known in these parts.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
It's funny so many people search this issue.
I guess it tells you something...something weird must be going on there.
There is something weird, it's called SPEEDTRAP!!