USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Is there any law that limits making two claims?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AWA55
    • Jan 2018
    • United States

Is there any law that limits making two claims?

NY

Is there any law that limits making two claims within two weeks on my car insurance?

I know it's crazy but after 12 years accident free I had two accidents within 14 days and each caused about a thousand dollars in damage I would estimate.
    Can the insurer do anything about the fact I did not report or turn in the first claim yet? I feel like they will flip out when I give them this info??
  • Lexus
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Sep 2010
    • United States

Re: Is there any law that limits making two claims?

Since there was no record of accident in your name for the past 12 years, the insurance company will consider you as a safe driver. So you are not going to face any trouble in claiming for the two consecutive accidents.

Comment

• adjusterjack
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • May 2016

Originally posted by AWA55
      NY

Is there any law that limits making two claims within two weeks on my car insurance?

I know it's crazy but after 12 years accident free I had two accidents within 14 days and each caused about a thousand dollars in damage I would estimate.
      Can the insurer do anything about the fact I did not report or turn in the first claim yet? I feel like they will flip out when I give them this info??
      No, there isn't any law against making the claims.

What your insurance company will do is separate the occurrences into two separate claims and apply your deductible to each.

If you have a $500 deductible against $1000 worth of damage, you'll get $500 for each claim. If you happen to have a $1000 deductible you get nothing.

If either or both of the accidents were your fault your policy is likely to be surcharged for 3 years.

If you fail to disclose that it was two accidents so as to avoid a double deductible or double surcharge, that's insurance fraud.

If you were not at fault you should be going after the other drivers for the repair costs.

Comment

• adjusterjack
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • May 2016

Originally posted by Lexus
        Since there was no record of accident in your name for the past 12 years, the insurance company will consider you as a safe driver. So you are not going to face any trouble in claiming for the two consecutive accidents.
        You are so clueless.

Comment

• Unregistered

Well the question was if 2 claims is a problem and the poster correctly noted it is NOT any kind of problem. I don't see how that makes the poster clueless.

Comment

• adjusterjack
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • May 2016

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Well the question was if 2 claims is a problem and the poster correctly noted it is NOT any kind of problem. I don't see how that makes the poster clueless.
            I didn't write that the poster was clueless, I wrote that Lexus was clueless.

Because, as I explained, there ARE problems with the situation. The insurance company WILL NOT consider the poster a safe driver, not with two accidents. So, there is trouble ahead.

Comment

• Disagreeable
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Oct 2012
              • United States

Also, any damages from the first accident, will be discounted in the bill for the second as already damaged. You will still be paying 2 deductibles. You may run into an issue with not reporting the first accident in a timely manner.
              Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• jane21august
                • Jan 2018
                • United States

I agree with them as you have to face consequences as you didn't tell your insurance company about the first accident and now due to your negligence, you are going to suffer.

Comment

• Unregistered

It was only 14 days.

How many days do you get before you have to tell the insurer about the accident?

Does 14 days violate any rule or policy provision?

Comment

• Wenton2
                    Top Level Member
                    ☆☆☆☆☆☆
                    • Sep 2016
                    • United States

Some policies give you 2 or 3 days and some as long as 14.
                    I personally have never heard of any auto policy allowing more than 14 days.

And I have used three different major firms over the last 25 years.

Comment

• adjusterjack
                      Top Level Member
                      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                      • May 2016

Originally posted by Wenton2
                      Some policies give you 2 or 3 days and some as long as 14.
                      I personally have never heard of any auto policy allowing more than 14 days.
                      In 35 years in the insurance industry I've never heard of any policy specifying the number of days.

Read yours and you are likely to find that, in the section Duties After an Accident or Loss, it says:

"We must be notified promptly of how, when and where the accident or loss happened."

The word promptly is used several times in that section and is standard wording throughout the industry.

Promptly is, of course, subject to interpretation but the best bet for anybody is to report the accident at the earliest possible moment that circumstances allow.

Comment

• Highwayman
                        Top Level Member
                        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by adjusterjack
                        In 35 years in the insurance industry I've never heard of any policy specifying the number of days.
                        Obviously Wenton2 is more of an insurance expert than you are Jack.

Comment

• Danieltaylor
                          • May 2018
                          • United States

If you are going to the insurance agent then not disclose any information before consulting with a personal injury attorney.

Comment

• adjusterjack
                            Top Level Member
                            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                            • May 2016

Originally posted by adjusterjack
                            Chomp, chomp, I'm eating my words.

In just the past week I read (on another site) about a policy that had a 30 day reporting limit and the insured's claim was denied when he reported the accident months later due to a subrogation claim by the other driver's insurance company. His own company denied the claim.

All the more reason to read your insurance policy WHEN YOU GET IT.

Comment

• adjusterjack
                              Top Level Member
                              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                              • May 2016

Originally posted by Danieltaylor
                              If you are going to the insurance agent then not disclose any information before consulting with a personal injury attorney.
                              Again?

You are clueless.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...