Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Other Family Law Matters > Adoption Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Dami78237

Default Mexico Child was given to me for adoption

I want to legalize my todler girl... She was given to me by her birth mother in Mexico. What we did was go to a notary in Mexico and had papers relasing her to me drawn up and where she gave up all her rights as a mother and handed her over to me for adoption. The baby .. now three going on four has been with me for almost 3 years now... and I need to legalize her status. Ihave her here in the us with me.. she did not come in legally, but she is now here... What can I do tolegalize her status?
Dami78237 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Mexico Child was given to me for adoption

I wish to inform you that under the provisions of CCA, your adopted child will become a US Citizen when the child meets the requirements prescribed which are - must be below 18 years of age, at least one parent adopting the child is a US citizen, the adoption is final and the child has entered USA as an immigrant. You may complete the process of adoption in USA or Mexico. The papers signed by a Notary in Mexico may not suffice. Thereafter, you may have the child to legally enter USA to complete the process. In this regard, no period spent by the child below 18 years of age will be counted as period of illegal stay for reentry ban.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

You have created quite a mess. A parent cannot "sign away" their rights. (notary means nothing except to confirm identities). Only a judge can terminate parental rights. Her parents can come back for her at any moment.

You need to get yourself a lawyer TODAY.

Legalizing that child's status is the very least of your worries. You can be charged with international kidnapping, among other things.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

A child given (or sold) to you by the mother with only a notarized document of her signature may well violate adoption laws of both countries and bringing the child into the U.S. without proper application may also find you in violation of immigration laws [illegal].

You need to see an immigration lawyer and the sooner the better. And locate the mother who "gave" you the child so you do not end up in jail for kidnapping.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

In this case a notarized document is not a conclusive proof for adoption. You need to attend a court session to obtain a final order of adoption by a judge. Thereafter you will get a certificate of adoption and amended birth certificate with your name as parent.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

It is not uncommon for destitute parents in Mexico to sell their children to strangers. Of course, these transactions are not legal nor is just 'giving' one's child away. More often it is the former case and not the latter, too.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami78237 View Post
I want to legalize my todler girl... She was given to me by her birth mother in Mexico. What we did was go to a notary in Mexico and had papers relasing her to me drawn up and where she gave up all her rights as a mother and handed her over to me for adoption. The baby .. now three going on four has been with me for almost 3 years now... and I need to legalize her status. Ihave her here in the us with me.. she did not come in legally, but she is now here... What can I do tolegalize her status?
this is not your child. and where is the father? you need his consent too.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
this is not your child. and where is the father? you need his consent too.
Keep in mind the laws in Mexico differ from the laws in the U.S.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
jenepher

Adoption from Mexico must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention's requirements.You need to contact a lawyer right away, and even then it may be impossible to obtain a Visa for this child. At the very least, it is going to be a very difficult process.

Unless you followed the law in both the US and Mexico, then the child is not your adopted child.
jenepher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
Unregistered

I been offered a unborn child for adoption. The situation is that the family is extremely poor, and already have children. This family know our family in Mexico and well awere that were not able to conceive. What steps should we take to do things right and bring this baby quickly, unfortunately the mother wants nothing to do with this baby after being born. Please help