Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Other Family Law Matters > Adoption Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
Corbett

Default Adoption and child support

In 1997, I was the father of a child in California. I was 15 years old at the time. I had no rights to the child, nor was I placed on the birth certificate. However, at 18, I was hit with a $10,000 back child support bill. I continued paying child support afterwards, until about 2005, when it suddenly stopped.

The child was adopted, without me ever signing over parental rights or anything. It was my belief that the mother of the child had married and he had taken over parental rights. What had actually happened however, was that the mother had given up the child for adoption. If I had parental rights, I still had not signed them over. I am still trying to find whether the adoption had happened in California or Texas.

My question then, is whether or not this adoption was legal. The child is now 18 and has recently found me. She is living in Wisconsin with me, my wife and our children now. I intend to adopt her, which is something we agreed on. However, I'm not sure what to pursue legally, given that the adoption may not have even been legal to begin with.

I appreciate any advice!
Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Adoption and child support

I wish to inform you that in Wisconsin a person can be adopted at any age including an adult. At 18 the child is a major and you may proceed with the adoption process. You may contact an attorney or Legal Aid, if eligible and seek guidance in the matter.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
teedy

So the person will have been adopted twice? Is that right?

Old 08-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
Corbett

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedy View Post
So the person will have been adopted twice? Is that right?
Once by her great grand parents, and then again by a friend of theirs. When she found me, she had just turned 18 and was no longer under the guardianship of her adoptive parents.
Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
teedy

That's really interesting.

I also live in the area and have an unusual similar situation. This was helpful.