Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and INTERNET LAW > Internet Law

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2018, 02:44 AM   #1
zamrro
zamrro's Flag is: United States

Default trailer park signed 100yr contract to keep out cable. legal?

My trailer park complex signed a 100 year contract with some company or consortium that keeps out cable tv/internet and UVerse from AT&T.

Our only options for internet are slow AT&T DSL, or satellite internet with severe data caps that my daily gaming would exceed. I am spending approx 2 hours a day on internet wait times (cumulative, and no exaggeration).

Can this contract be challenged in court by an homeowner? This seems so illegal (Oklahoma btw) and it's keeping me from getting 20mbs cable for 30/mo when I'm paying 60/mo for 3 mbps dsl (that barely performs at half that).

I would love to get a class action going and get the ACLU and/or EFF pick up the bill but not sure how plausible that is. I certainly don't have the means for a suit, or I wouldn't be living in a trailer park.

Edit: I have called the cable company and AT&T - they both say the complex is preventing them from running lines here for cable or Uverse high speed. The neighborhood across the road got fiber from SBC.
zamrro is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: trailer park signed 100yr contract to keep out cable. legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamrro View Post

Can this contract be challenged in court by an homeowner? This seems so illegal (Oklahoma btw) and it's keeping me from getting 20mbs cable for 30/mo when I'm paying 60/mo for 3 mbps dsl (that barely performs at half that).
Unfortunately, I don't see anything illegal going on. The park is allowing the service. It's just inconvenient for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamrro View Post

I would love to get a class action going and get the ACLU and/or EFF pick up the bill but not sure how plausible that is. I certainly don't have the means for a suit, or I wouldn't be living in a trailer park.
So, call up the ACLU or EFF and ask. Probably won't do anything for you either.

You option is to live elsewhere.
adjusterjack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
You option is to live elsewhere.
Exactly this.

Maybe if you didn't spend hours everyday playing games you could earn enough money to move out of the trailer park.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2018, 12:29 AM   #4
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post

Maybe if you didn't spend hours everyday playing games you could earn enough money to move out of the trailer park.
We need a "like" button on this site.

adjusterjack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2018, 05:47 AM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

If you are not satisfied with the contractual terms entered with park complex you can demand them to provide service as described in the terms. If the contractual interests are not satisfied you can terminate the contract.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #6
zamrro
zamrro's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Exactly this.

Spoken by a true American who has absolutely no idea of someone's situation.

Trust me if I could work I would. Thanks for responses.

Yeah unfortunately nothing illegal as far as a red state is concerned, just immoral. Here's to hoping Elon doesn't flame out and gets that network going.
zamrro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
If you are not satisfied with the contractual terms entered with park complex you can demand them to provide service as described in the terms. If the contractual interests are not satisfied you can terminate the contract.
What on Earth are you talking about? Do you have any idea what this guy even wrote?
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote