Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody and Support

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
worriedguy
worriedguy's Flag is: Belgium

Default Philippina mom claims I am the father

Hello,

I am a Belgian guy working in Dubai. The girl I am talking about also works in Dubai. We had an 8 month relationship.

Right before my summer leave I did a pregnancy test and it was negative, after she told me she "forgot" to take the pill several days. However, now her and her sister tell me they did an other PT and it was positive, and she is gaining weight.

They tell me she needs to go back to the Philippines to deliver (it is illegal in Dubai to have a kid when unmarried).

My questions:
- Would it be stupid if I pay her flight back home? I think it could help me to get her home because we are unmarried, and in the UAE that is a crime. Should I make a document and let her sign it that I paid for the flight (in case she later would claim she never got anything?)
- Can she put my name on the birth certificate without me getting notified?
- Is it in my interest to request for a paternity test? Or is it better to wait until she asks for it? I guess if I ask it and it is +, it opens the door for child support?
- Can she ask for child support? Would Philippine, Dubai, or Belgian law be applied?

It is a very stressful moment when a girl wants to keep the child against a man's will.

Thank you.
worriedguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Philippina mom claims I am the father

In this regard first you need to make sure that the girl is pregnant as said by her and you are responsible for that. Further, if you enter an agreement with the girl in Dubai for an illegal matter that will be void from the instance.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedguy View Post
Hello,

I am a Belgian guy working in Dubai. The girl I am talking about also works in Dubai. We had an 8 month relationship.

Right before my summer leave I did a pregnancy test and it was negative, after she told me she "forgot" to take the pill several days. However, now her and her sister tell me they did an other PT and it was positive, and she is gaining weight.

They tell me she needs to go back to the Philippines to deliver (it is illegal in Dubai to have a kid when unmarried).

My questions:
- Would it be stupid if I pay her flight back home? I think it could help me to get her home because we are unmarried, and in the UAE that is a crime. Should I make a document and let her sign it that I paid for the flight (in case she later would claim she never got anything?)
- Can she put my name on the birth certificate without me getting notified?
- Is it in my interest to request for a paternity test? Or is it better to wait until she asks for it? I guess if I ask it and it is +, it opens the door for child support?
- Can she ask for child support? Would Philippine, Dubai, or Belgian law be applied?

It is a very stressful moment when a girl wants to keep the child against a man's will.

Thank you.
First off, how can you say that its against your will to keep the child? Is she forcing you to be a father? Did you even talk to her that you don't have any plans of standing up for her once she got pregnant? Was abortion even discussed?

Second, buying her a ticket will not invalidate her right for child support. Seems like you are more concerned about the money and not the welfare of your ex-gf nor the baby.

Third, if she decides to write your name in the child's birth certificate, the name would still be under the mother because under the Philippine law, any child born to unmarried parents can only use thw father's surname if it was acknowledged and the father signed on the birth certificate.

Lastly, if you are hell bent on having the paternity test, it only means you are having doubts on whether you really got her pregnant. Did she become an ex because she cheated?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
MaxnD
MaxnD's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Philippina mom claims I am the father

You obviously cared for how money you'll lose and not on the baby unborn and her mother.
MaxnD is offline   Reply With Quote