USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

$850 speeding ticket in Ashburn, Georgia !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Originally posted by FLMom
    I know how you feel. The same thing happened to us. We were in the middle lane following a group of cars, and out of no where, a cop comes racing up to our butts, but yet the pack of cars we were riding behind were no where to be seen. He told us we were going 17 over, we hired a lawyer, he gets it cut down under 15 mph over and we pay a less ticket and no super speeder fee and we have to pay the lawyer. I'm pretty sure they have this all worked out with the lawyers, but my husband has a CDL, so we didn't want the points on his license or for our insurance to go up. We havent had any tickets in over 10 yrs, but he didn't care. Sounds like we had the same cop. It's a scam for them to get some money in their crappy little county since the population is like none! We were heading back to Florida with our 2 year old after checking out the atlanta area to see if we want to move up there. This cop ALMOST ruined it for us, but we're still moving up there. I think we will go out of our way to not drive through Ashburn again!
    The same happened to me but I need a lawyer can you give me your lawyers contact info.

Comment

• ayoung

Re: $850 speeding ticket in Ashburn, Georgia !!

What is the name of the Officer. I had the same prb. coming over a hill and was not speeding. Because my car had Check engine light on it. and I asked the Officer for the Laser.. he chuckled... can you let me know the laser # or officer name... and I will check into this.... thanks

Comment

• Unregistered

Why I did not read these posts before paying $587.00 towards the speeding ticket my daughter received on 05/20/2014 for speed 90/70? This is the first ticket she has ever received. The incident occurred on I-75 S within the Ashburn city, Turner county limits.
        My daughter was driving and I was in the passenger sit. All other vehicles were going at more than 90, and I know this because my daughter was driving on cruise control set around 80. The ticket mentions the type of detecting device as "Laser", remarks "SB 90/70", quotes the OCGA 40-6-181. We were under the impression that the maximum fine would be not more than $200.00. But when we called the number provided in the ticket, the automated voice message system provided the magical number of $555.00 plus processing charges of $32.00. So, we checked online and that system also gave the same number. I was very scared, let me confess, and panicked. I paid the fine online and got rid of it. However, it never occurred to me that I/we should go to the court and plead "not guilty" .
        Oh and, we were driving Camry LE 2013. Could this coupled with my daughter's age would have affected the amount of fine? My daughter is 23 and she has been driving since the age of 18 without any violation until now.
        Is there any right to information is available to us so that we can ask for the proof that only our vehicle was speeding and all other vehicles were within the speed limits?
        Can we now hire an attorney considering the fact that we already had paid the fine?
        Thanks in Advance for reading and taking your time.

Comment

• Unregistered

Turner county, office C. Wentworth or Westworth; badge # 431

Comment

• Unregistered

Same thing happened to me this month.

Cruise was set on 80 for the previous 300+ miles - shockingly the Officer said I was doing 87.

Seems to be a common theme for this stretch of 75.

Officer Spencer Wynn in my situation.

Comment

• Unregistered

I got the same situation with mine. It has been known for over 20+ years that the south GA counties earn a lot of revenue from I-75 speeding tickets. In the 1990's they even had a tri-county task force to justify their "selective enforcement" of the I-75 corridor from Valdosta to Macon. Yes some know about the super speeder laws. I was a GA resident when it went into effect. They also have a law that says when morons drive too slow in the fast lane you can get a ticket but its hardly enforced as much as speeding. Georgia is one of those states that has been notorious for speed traps. Do you remember the old B movies like Macon County Line? lol. Seriously they have a tough job, speeding is out of hand, but for most of us its just a few miles over and if you are targeted. I was on cruise control and the speed was 86 when the cruise was set to 78. I was driving a brand new rental car and knew the speed was accurate from the radar signs from previous construction areas in FL. Long story short... Its a speed trap zone from Valdosta to Macon with a higher concentration just North of that stretch around the City of Forsyth, GA. I hired a ticket clinic law firm here in FL to plead my GA ticket. The usual happened. They dropped the speed below the super speeder statute, with held the points and made me pay a almost $300.00 fine. So sad to say mine is just like the other stories which means there is consistency to the claims of many that this is in fact a speed trap and people are targeted. Ya'All come now ya hear.... Get the lawyer, lose the points and take your lumps in the wallet. Its like the Marines... once they have you by the balls... the hearts and minds will follow. Pay to save your license and pay the fine and move on.

Comment

• Disagreeable
                Top Level Member
                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                • Oct 2012
                • United States

One wonders why people don't set their cruise at the speed limit for that segment of I-75 doesn't it?
                Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• goddessoflubboc
                  Top Level Member
                  ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Disagreeable
                  One wonders why people don't set their cruise at the speed limit for that segment of I-75 doesn't it?
                  Finally a voice of reason!!

If EVERYBODY knows it's a speed trap then ANYBODY who gets caught is a moron.

Comment

• Unregistered

This has obviously been going on for years. To disaagreable and the person (godessoflubboc) that usually follows your comment with an asinine response. we are sorry if we offend you or your love that is on the force for this county. You keep stating these smart aleck comments but don't realize if the State of Ga. did look into this VERY significant trend some heads would be rolling. And not the "speeders."
                    I recently had the same thing happen and it is bogus and I do plan on going to court. At which time they can find me guilty but I will state my opinion about this county and its tactics. I am a disabled vet that was travelling due to an assignment for a military deployment. Because of my leg injury, I always set the cruise control. Usually (95%) I set it for 5 miles over which my wife can attest to because she has felt that it was silly for the past 16 years. This particular time I felt 79mph was good since I feel that they ticket you at 10 mph over which is what my wife drives. Well a van zooms by me then all of a sudden jumps in my lane (middle) and hits the brakes. I jerk to the fast lane while punching it so we don't crash. Note I never went past the van...not even at the time that the officer got behind me. Never braked so cruise was still on. Officer pulls behind the van then slows and pulls behind me. What!? Tells me I clocked over 90mph. I told him that was impossible since I was on cruise (showed him the light was still on..he snickered) and if that is so why wasn't van stopped because they were in front of me. Also I wouldn't go that fast because there have been officers ticketing for the past 100+ miles. His answer almost to the word..."I saw the van pull in front of you but I clocked you when you changed lanes and you sped up to 90+." What!? I repeated the scenario again because maybe "I" didn't hear the explanation correctly. Same response. He took my information and quickly wrote me a ticket of 95 in a 70. WTF! Because I could have been arrested and subsequently late for my assignment I decided to argue this in court. What's worse is I sat in the car the entire time until he had me sign his copy of the ticket. That's when he had me get out and walk to the back of the vehicle which I am sure had other drivers thinking I was going to jail. He asked if it was a rental (he saw the rental agreement earlier because I had it out for him) and to sign the ticket. Then sent me on my way. YES to all this is a scam. Say what you to TRY and defend this county but a trend is a trend. Until the State Atty gets involved this will continue to happen so I guess that means until the days of Revelation.

Comment

• got me too

The majority of you folks admit, you knowingly were speeding. You should be ticketed if caught. But, the padding onto the ticket is wrong and I believe most all of you. Turner county is one of the poorest counties in the state. So this is a big source of revenue. Turner County made more than $2.25 million dollars in 2014 off the interstate. That was published in the local paper. Lawyers even know about this, but dare not buck the system. A few years back Crisp county was working the interstate "hot and heavy" also. Tift county was doing some at the same and catching the people who thought after passing through Turner and not seeing a cop, that they were safe. Lol, it's a scam. Now they're gone and Turner is working it hard. Oh and BTW, Hire a lawyer who does not practice in the county and or surrounding counties , locals palms are probably getting greased too.
                      These type of coincidence's are organized and would require alot of people's signed complaints, and a few lawyers who could persuade the Feds to get involved. This type of thing does not only happen down here. I've seen it all over the states. Some are just worse than others.
                      I have no advice other than, hire a lawyer 2 counties away, if you intend to fight an incident. The best you will get is a reduction in fines and charges. They win. :-(

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        here is our story... FROM Today actually... turner County. We called a few lawyers on our way home but we are on the fence on who to chose. We really only want the ticket knocked down out of the "super speeder" range and the points removed.

My husband hasn't gotten a speeding ticket since his teens except for one that was ridiculously low ( I want to say it was 7 over posted) . I have him drive through GA because, I'm sorry.... Ga drivers are a bit nuts. There is constant tailgating and even when I'm in the slow lane they fly up on me and move over just before it seems like I'm going to get hit.

Long story short, he's driving a PRIUS.... just to put this in perspective... it's on ECO mode. He's doing maybe 80. I understand my husband was speeding, but he's okay with that speed and it kept us from getting rear ended. We top a hill and everyone is braking, he turns off cruise (AT 80) and lets his foot off the gas. Why do I know this? I watched him.

He sees the cop get off the shoulder, he moves to the middle lane. We play the "who's getting pulled over" game. First the trooper gets in the fast lane, then behind the car behind us, then moves to us. Pulls us over. I'm seriously thinking it's because we didn't have GA plates. We were in the middle of other cars and were NOT the last or first to exit the hill in that lane....

Says he clocked us via radar doing 90 miles an hour... in a Prius...... seriously? I bought the car for gas mileage, above 80 it goes to crap. Our "average speed" shown on the dash over the last 700 miles was 70.... so there is no way my husband was going a CONSTANT 90 through Ga.

My husband politely told the trooper that he was not, trooper asked for information and wrote us a ticket.

I'll give this county ONE thing... they sure do tickets FAST. Trooper comes back to our car, hands us a ticket, tells us he doesn't know how much it is and to call a number.

I check online, I see everything about a "super speeder " fee being assessed after being proven guilty. We switch so my husband can call the number on the back. The ticket? 20 over. The fine? 422 dollars. WHAT????

He asked the woman, is this INCLUDING THE S.S fee? NOPE! That's LATER, after you paid your ticket.

Now, we drive a lot. No where on this ticket, on road signs, on ANYTHING AT ALL is there a mention of said fee. Sure there is a statute number at the bottom, but who's really going to go home and look that up.

This fee is nothing but extortion. We were willing NOT to fight the 422, but to know that not only did the state, trooper and this woman all willingly HIDE the fact there was this fee is WRONG. Some may say she didn't but it took multiple questions to get the fee assessment amount and reason out of her. She only spoke in direct questions and never volunteered this information.

I know he shouldn't have done 80. However, he was NOT passing anyone, and was not moving in and out of lanes like I saw two or three "packs" as I like to call them did. This "fee" needs to be POSTED because if that tickets paid, you admit guilt.

We are hiring a lawyer because 1. The ticket is grossly exaggerated and 2. because of this fee. If we happen to get points removed, the lawyer will pay for himself in the long run.

BEWARE OF THIS COUNTY!

Hey..what was the outcome of your case?

Comment

• Highwayman
                          Top Level Member
                          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                          • Sep 2014

Hey..what was the outcome of your case?
                          Do you seriously believe that the OP is still here almost 4 years later?

Comment

• wooley bulley

The entire city limits of Ashburn (Assburn) GA is designed as a speed trap. Look at a map of this town . The city limits were extended and widened to take in several miles of I-75, the widest part of the city limits. They get 93% of their fine revenue, $1.6 Million/year, or $390 per resident, from moving violations along this corridor. This is how the police department funds its budget. Even the judges are paid from this bucket. The whole town is a speed trap machine from top to bottom.

This police department is more dangerous to the public than any terrorist cell. They force you off the highway onto the shoulder and force you to get out of the car and walk along fast moving traffic. Then it is up to you to get back into traffic as best you can. This is highway robbery and reckless endangerment!

Some day they will surely cause the death of a family of tourists headed to Florida. When they do it will be premeditated murder.

Some people have begun fighting back, in a peaceful protest by yellow-staining the highway and city. They put yellow paint in balloons and throw them on the highway to warn other motorists about the speed trap town and to show the cowardice of this city! I say paint the whole town yellow!

Comment

So called speed traps are set up because local law enforcement sees that many people violate the law in that area.

The city would receive no money if everyone obeyed the posted limits.

Comment

• Unregistered

Same thing happened to me this month.

Cruise was set on 80 for the previous 300+ miles - shockingly the Officer said I was doing 87.

Seems to be a common theme for this stretch of 75.

Officer Spencer Wynn in my situation.

Wow same officer pulled me over for the same speed. In my defense, I was actually accelerating to get over into the middle lane because there was a car beside me and I didn't want to be in the fast lane anymore because the roads were wet so I was trying to get over to reduce my speed from 80mph to 70mph. Before I could even get over I see troopers up on the shoulder and as soon as I did get over one had pulled out with his lights engaged. I'm going to call a lawyer for some advice since its free. Good luck to anyone battling the same issue.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...