USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Debt collection... Can I place my home in a trust for a grandchild?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • egashley
    • May 2012

Debt collection... Can I place my home in a trust for a grandchild?

I lost two houses in housing crash. One was short sale. One was sold for less than payoff. Chase is now seeking me for the 70K shortfall. Can Chase put a lien on my current house? Can I place my home in a trust for a grandchild that will pass to her upon my death to prevent a lien?
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Debt collection... Can I place my home in a trust for a grandchild?

I wish to inform you that a lien cannot be put against a living trust but any assets that are transferred into the trust can have a lien placed against them. Further, if the debt is against the person who created the trust or against the person who is the beneficiary of the trust, then a lien cannot be placed against the trust. The trust is considered as a legal entity separate and apart from the individuals involved.

AFF

Comment

• egashley
      • May 2012

I live in Colorado so this applies to me here? If so,I will seek an attorney to set up a living trust for my granddaughter. What else should I tell my attorney to make sure I protect my assets? I just want my granddaughter to get my house/land free and clear after I die. Thank you.

Comment

• Friend In Court
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Apr 2011
        • United States

Originally posted by egashley
        I lost two houses in housing crash. One was short sale. One was sold for less than payoff. Chase is now seeking me for the 70K shortfall. Can Chase put a lien on my current house? Can I place my home in a trust for a grandchild that will pass to her upon my death to prevent a lien?
        All depends upon how the 'shortfall' is treated. If Chase has obtained a judgment for the deficiency, then it becomes an automatic lien against title. If not, then you may be able to place the property in a trust. I would see an attorney right away in light of your circumstances.

I disagree with the preceding answer by AFF because once a property is placed in the right kind of trust, it cannot be reached by a creditor against one of the beneficiaries of the trust. See a lawyer is my recommendation, and one who writes revocable and irrevocable trusts.

Comment

• egashley
          • May 2012

Thank you for the info. Is there anyway I can find out if there is a judgement against my property already before seeing an attorney? Thank you.

Was just told by an attorney I can't hide my assets but could transfer title to someone out of the country; I can't do that. So sounds like Chase can file a judgement and put a lien on my house that will follow me and anyone that inherits it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...