Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > IMMIGRATION LAW > Other Immigration Law and Visas

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
wacky

Default UAE Travel Ban for Credit Card Debt?

I am trying to understand the following information through a set of questions and would appreciate someone's expert assistance in the matter. I don't live in the UAE anymore.

1. Are there any recent developments from the banks in the UAE/Dubai regarding people who had debt on their credit cards at a federal (criminal) level.
2. Is it true that people who had maintained debt on their credit cards are being blacklisted by the Central Bank of the UAE and what implications does this blacklisting have for individuals?
3. Does the blacklisting only affect credit ratings in the UAE for those individuals, or does it have other implications related to travel to the UAE, visas in UAEs, being held up by immigration at a UAE Airport. Are there any penalties associated with the blacklisting, such as jail time?
4. On January 1, 2013 the UAE government announced they will not criminally prosecute and jail cheque defaulters, will this cover credit card defaulters as well?

I am certain answers to the above questions will help all future individuals coming to this thread seeking similar information.
wacky is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: UAE Travel Ban for Credit Card Debt?

I wish to inform you that in case of debt default there can be arrest of the person. In this regard, generally if there is a default in the credit card payment then the security check is encashed. If there is no money in the account then for check default the credit card company can make a complaint to police and criminal proceedings started. UAE sometimes issues warrant for arrest in case of check default and also informs Interpol for arrest. Credit card default can also lead to warrant for arrest in GCC countries and a person may be arrested at the airport.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Unregistered

Would this also apply to a small debt of AED 1,000 which has grown to AED 5,000 with interest?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Unregistered

Interpool is only concerned about the people who are threat to their own country like terrorist. But for the interpool to chase for the people who can not pay credit card because they lost their jobs are questionable ? Interpool are very busy doing jobs more inportant than these issues. If it is true , i did not hear anyone that hold in the airport except UAE of course .. In fact , i knew many people, who work in other GCC countries that having stop over or connecting flight from UAE airport but left unharmed.
I guess some of the people who are giving advice here are working in debt collecting department..

Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Unregistered

I think you are right. Some of the responses provided to queries on the forum, from helpful people like AFFA seem to be more in the line of scaring people rather than providing facts, evidence or anecdotal experiences in order to answer the questions people have.
AFFA seems to jump immediately to the arrest of people with debt as well as leading to Interpol cases.
Whereas I have heard that banks discriminate to open and register cases with police based on size of debt.

I wonder if someone can really answer the above request sincerely.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Defaulter

Interpol after credit card defaulters...you gotta be kidding!!! Fellow defaulters, there isn't anything close to such thing in real life. True that middle east has strange laws including the right to bare you from entering their country for smallest of small reasons but honestly i havent heard a case credit card related. I can say this cos i have a friend who has 2-3 banks from the desert after him and he still visits their place regularly. Pls relax and stay happy.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Unregistered

Smile Re: UAE Travel Ban for Credit Card Debt?

Territoriality context of the law. Defaulters in one country cannot be prosecuted in another country may it be GCC , but yes if the debt is $100.000.000 above. You can and will be tracked down by the collection agency / agent but be aware that they cannot discuss the issue of your debts to your current employer at all , they must discuss the issue with you only personally otherwise you can file harassment and extortion case against the agent or the agency. If in case the collection agency filed a case against you in the country where you defaulted , the agency can bring the case to the country's ministry of interior where you are based at the time then the ministry of interior will notify your embassy and then you will be informed / warned , only then they can get a lawyer to file a court case against you , summons will then be issued for you to appear and represent yourself in court.
The process is very long and costly , do you believe that collection agency will put themselves in to such situation if the amount being contested is UAE3k? Given that they will , the deportation process from whwre you are now back to UAE is also costly , you will be then be put in jail , sit for several months (How can you pay if you are in jail?) and they will be responsible for your deportation to your home country , at the agency's expense , do you honestly believe they will do that even for 5k? Agents will resort to all available tactics to scare , shame the defaulters to force them to pay. Yes it is wrong to default , others have valid reason why , others simply took the opportunity. Be informed and do not take credit card again , If you cannot pay CASH it means you cannot afford it. .....

Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Unregistered

only security cheque can not be used as a arrest warrant. Other installment cheques can be used as arrest warrant in uae.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #9
Arsi
Arsi's Flag is: India

Hope u don t work for police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Interpool is only concerned about the people who are threat to their own country like terrorist. But for the interpool to chase for the people who can not pay credit card because they lost their jobs are questionable ? Interpool are very busy doing jobs more inportant than these issues. If it is true , i did not hear anyone that hold in the airport except UAE of course .. In fact , i knew many people, who work in other GCC countries that having stop over or connecting flight from UAE airport but left unharmed.
I guess some of the people who are giving advice here are working in debt collecting department..
Arsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2017, 05:17 AM   #10
Gotham2
Gotham2's Flag is: United States

See post 174 above. It seems to be the best overall summary.

It is generally not good to be in GCC countries if you have unpaid debt that is overdue.
Gotham2 is offline   Reply With Quote