Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > Law Schools and Law Students > I'm a Law Student

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
francinebell28
francinebell28's Flag is: United States

Default Taking up law as a second course. Am I doing the right thing?

I have been working in a foreign company for five years already, but I’m planning to resign to go back to college to study law. I graduated as a nurse, but I haven’t used what I’ve studied after failing to pass the bar examination some years ago. Now, I’m taking this big opportunity to become a public prosecutor in the future. My parents have known this plan for months already and they have been very supportive with me, including my long-term boyfriend. Based on the grades I had during my college days, I’m quite competent. But is taking up law that difficult? Am
I doing the right thing? Who among of you here has a similar experience? I would appreciate your responses. Thanks!
francinebell28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 09-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Default Re: Taking up law as a second course. Am I doing the right thing?

What you wrote makes no sense. If you never went to law school what were you doing taking a bar exam???
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 04:03 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
What you wrote makes no sense. If you never went to law school what were you doing taking a bar exam???
Probably meant board exam for nursing.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:14 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by francinebell28 View Post
I have been working in a foreign company for five years already, but I’m planning to resign to go back to college to study law. I graduated as a nurse, but I haven’t used what I’ve studied after failing to pass the bar examination some years ago. Now, I’m taking this big opportunity to become a public prosecutor in the future. My parents have known this plan for months already and they have been very supportive with me, including my long-term boyfriend. Based on the grades I had during my college days, I’m quite competent. But is taking up law that difficult? Am
I doing the right thing? Who among of you here has a similar experience? I would appreciate your responses. Thanks!
First off, if you wanted to become a lawyer, its not about the degree of difficulty. And it's not even a question of your competence during college. Is becoming a lawyer what you really wanted and not just some grandiose dream of being a prosecutor? If you really wanted to become a lawyer, take a step back and analyze if this is really what you want. Law school is tough, countless late nights studying and not everyone becomes a prosecutor right away after graduation. Plus, your degree before was nursing so you may have to take extra subjects before you can get admitted to law school. Why not try working for a lawyer first even in a corporate setting, or check out legal clinics so you can get exposed to this type of work. Then decide if you really wanted to pursue this dream further. Studying law may take anywhere from 2 to 4 years so it takes considerable amount of time, effort and money.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
Highwayman
Top Level Member

You can't just decide to go to law school. You should plan on taking the LSAT before you resign from any job you have. You may not be able to find a law school that will take you if you do poorly on the LSAT.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
Tam128
Tam128's Flag is: United States

Anybody can take the Bar exam in California--you do not need a law degree.

But it is very hard to pass.

My sister did it!!
Tam128 is offline   Reply With Quote