•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nancy9
    • Mar 2017
    • United States

Settling and then canceling a small claims case

If I settle my small claims court case, who has the duty to cancel the case with the court?
    Do I do that as defendant or does the plaintiff?

We settled but the case is still on the docket.
  • Highwayman
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Sep 2014

Re: Settling and then canceling a small claims case

Originally posted by Nancy9
    If I settle my small claims court case, who has the duty to cancel the case with the court?
    Do I do that as defendant or does the plaintiff?

We settled but the case is still on the docket.
    What state is this?

In my state some paperwork has to be filed with the court and signed by both parties.

Of course, if no one shows up on the court date chances are the case will be dismissed anyway.

Comment

• Wenton2
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2016
      • United States

The one who filed the case needs to withdraw the case with the court. Tell the plaintiff they need to do so or they will be in breach of the settlement agreement that you all agreed.

Comment

• Highwayman
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Wenton2
        Tell the plaintiff they need to do so or they will be in breach of the settlement agreement that you all agreed.
        How is that? How do YOU know what is contained in the settlement agreement??

Comment

• Lexus
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Sep 2010
          • United States

It is Plaintiff’s duty to initiate proceedings to withdraw the case after settlement. At the time of settlement you are required to keep the settlement in writing where both parties agrees to the terms of settlement and duly signed. You can use it against the Plaintiff if he is not ready to withdraw the case after settlement.

Comment

• Unregistered

A defendant cannot withdraw a case. Otherwise they would all do so for every case.
            The plaintiff must withdraw it.

Comment

• Unregistered

Agreed--only the plaintiff can withdraw the case, NOT the defendant.

It wouldn't make sense any other way, think about it. Every D would love to withdraw the case.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

do blue dogs live on the moon... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...