Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > LABOR and EMPLOYMENT LAW > Other Labor Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
CTHH 3
CTHH 3's Flag is: United States

Default Fired after major surgery that had me out of work

I had a major surgery that had me out of work and under my doctor's care from several months. A few days before my approved release, the HR rep called me attempting to collect payment for my continued insurance in which I couldn't afford. After she accepted my release to come back to work she requested my doctor's note which was no problem but she also informed me that upon my return I would have no choice but to transition into an in-office employee. This was the first time of me hearing this. While absent on medical leave, the remote position I was hired for was no longer available. She said I would have to become an in-office employee if I wanted to return.

I was fired via email after sending in my Dr.'s notes and letting her know I was not able to come into office as I expressed over the phone due to childcare and my continued illness.

What is the best way to handle this now?
CTHH 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Fired after major surgery that had me out of work

I wish to inform you that you may seek action against your employer for wrongful termination. You may seek compensation if you are covered under FMLA. In absence of any contract provision and if you are not covered under FMLA then your employer may be free to terminate contract of employment any time.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Find another job. Even if you’re covered under FMLA (which you don’t mention) they don’t have to hold your exact job, just a similar one. You couldn’t take that job so you need to find one you can.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

The issue depends on the terms of your employment agreement. If a remote position is not persisting now due to some reason, the only option is to continue as an in-office employee. If you feel that your employment rights are infringed, it would be good to consult a lawyer to reinstate your rights.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote