USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Scammers from China? (Chinese trading companies)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedetax
    • Nov 2012

Scammers from China? (Chinese trading companies)

Hello, I am new to this forum and I find it very helpful and well made!

I work for a company who has been approached via mail by 3 Chinese trading companies who were interested in some of our products. After little negotiation on price and delivery terms, they sent us a draft of agreement and purchasing order (very urgent!). They also invited us to China, in order to discuss the agreement and sign it. We have decided to go, although we were suspecting some kind of fraud. Despite that we wanted to see with our own eyes and meet these people to "get some kind of feeling about them". We visited 2 of the 3 traders, one in Xi'an city and the other one in Shenzhen. Below their names:

Xi'An Jiaguang Trading Co. Ltd.
    No. 36 Jixiang Road, Yanta district Xi'An City, Shaanxi China 710000
    tel. +86 2963318566
    web: www.xajgtrade.com

and

BRIGHTWAY GROUPSTOCK CO. LIMITED
    No.286 FUHUA ROAD, FUTIAN DISTRICT, SHENZHEN CITY, CHINA
    TEL. +86 755 36656346
    FAX +86 755 36656349
    POSTCODE: 518000
    www.guangdaguoji.com

The Xi'an people were very friendly and nice, they took us to a restaurant and to some historical sites. They did not speak English, they had an interpreter. What struck me odd in particular was that the contract was pretty much completed by the interpreter and not by the general manager. This looked very strange to me. We weren't asked to pay anything in advance such as for gifts etc.. Instead, on the contract they asked us to pay a 3% on the value of the first batch, as a "quality guarantee fee", a kind of quality deposit, that they would return us at the end of the contract. We suggested to take out this 3% from their down payment but they said it wasn't possible for some reasons we didn't really get. This sounded quite strange anyway. In the end we signed the contract and left.

With the second Chinese company in Shenzhen we did not sign any contract, we just met them and discussed of possible cooperation. The day after we left they sent us a draft of agreement, also containing the following clause:

"The contract shall come into effect immediately after the contract is signed by two parties. This contract should come into effect after notarized and signed by both parties. The originals should be in triplicate. Each of the two parties owns one and the third
    one is for the notary office. The cost of notary is 0.5% of total amount, each of the
    two pay 0.25%.". We suggested to take out this 0,25% from their initial payment but they refused saying that "This charge is collected in advance by the China goverment, you pay the part of yours, we pay the part of ours, there is no connection between notary charge and prepayment of contract. If the contact is breached by any party, the goverment and concerned department will deal with it. This is a good guarantee for both of us due to the first cooperation.". This too sounds very strange to me.

Now, has anybody ever heard of these 2 companies? What would you suggest we do now? I suppose the contract we signed doesn't have any legal value if they are scammers, does it?

Thank you for your support!
    Federica
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Scammers from China? (Chinese trading companies)

I wish to inform you that you may contact the Commercial Counselor of the local embassy of the People's Republic of China and request them for information of these companies. You may also request the companies for details of their membership in Trade Associations. You may then contact the Trade Associations to verify the status of these companies. The companies may also be requested for details of any client references who may be contacted. You may also contact the Commercial Counselor of your embassy in the People's Republic of China with a request for information about these companies if held by them. The bankers of these companies can also be contacted by your bank to verify their antecedents.

AFF

Comment

• fedetax
      • Nov 2012

Thank you AFF for your reply!
      We had actually contacted the ICE office in Beijing and they sent us a business information report on the first company. From the report we could get some information, yet not precise enough to be able to express a strong judgment on the Company. It is really hard to state what we should and should not do. I think that the simple idea of having to send them some money first sounds already quite strange to me...

Comment

• helloworld123
        • Nov 2012

Hello,

We are also contacted from the same company. Please contact me we need to discuss something important.

Thanks

Comment

• fedetax
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by helloworld123
          Hello,

We are also contacted from the same company. Please contact me we need to discuss something important.

Thanks
          Hi, can you send me a private message maybe?
          Thanks!

Comment

• bizinchina
            • Sep 2010

This is typical case of China buyer scam.

Comment

• fedetax
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by bizinchina
              This is typical case of China buyer scam.
              Is it really? The Company from Shenzhen seemed quite professional, also for the questions they asked and information they gave. They even suggested they come to Italy in December to sign the agreement...

Comment

• Unregistered

Hello,

The company BREIGHTWAY GROUP has contact us also.
                Do you have any news. Are they serious?
                I have asked the Delegation of German Industry and Commerce in Hong Kong whether this company exist, but it will takes some days till they can send me some information.
                Our bank has also checked this company, but they could not find out anything.

So if you have some news, could you please post them?

Comment

• Interested123
                  • Nov 2012

Hello Unregistered - which country are you located in ... and what products do Brightway want to purchase from you? Our company has been contacted by them, and they almost immediately accepted out Proforma Invoice, but are insisting we visit China to sign contract ...

Comment

• Interested123
                    • Nov 2012

We too have been contacted by Brightway ... accepeting our Quote almost immediately without question, but are insisting we travel to China to sign contract ?????

Comment

• bizinchina
                      • Sep 2010

If they invite you to China for contract purpose, then they are quite doubtful.
                      Brightway group stock is just an very new offshore company registered in September 5, 2012, they would attract you with a large order, and don't spend much time on negotiating, accept your price and trade terms quickly. Even you come to China, they won't sign contract with you right away, but keep extracting more money from you, then disappear .

Comment

• fedetax
                        • Nov 2012

Hello, we visited them in China on our own initiative, since we were already there. They seemed nice and quite professional, if I have to be honest. They didn't ask us to sign any contract while we were there. We just discussed about technical stuff (we make hydraulic cylinders) and delivery terms. We have also asked the Italian international chamber of commerce of Beijing to investigate over them. We did not recieve any information yet. I will inform you as soon as I have news.

Comment

• fedetax
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by bizinchina
                          If they invite you to China for contract purpose, then they are quite doubtful.
                          Brightway group stock is just an very new offshore company registered in September 5, 2012, they would attract you with a large order, and don't spend much time on negotiating, accept your price and trade terms quickly. Even you come to China, they won't sign contract with you right away, but keep extracting more money from you, then disappear .
                          So, how could we recognise whether a company is serious or not? It also seems that these "scammers" - if they are - use a lot the excuse of "notary charges" to make us pay some money in advance. They say it is a procedure asked by the Chinese government. How true is that? Thank you!

Comment

• Unregistered

Hello,

Hello Unregistered - which country are you located in ... and what products do Brightway want to purchase from you?

We are located in Germany. They have asked us for quartzt plates.

Regarding the "notary charges", I do not think that it exist. We have several customers in China and no one has asked us ever to pay such charges.
                            And Brightway has asked us to pay "Guaranty Money"

Comment

• fedetax
                              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Unregistered
                              Regarding the "notary charges", I do not think that it exist. We have several customers in China and no one has asked us ever to pay such charges.
                              And Brightway has asked us to pay "Guaranty Money"
                              yeah, this thing sounds pretty strange to me too.
                              We had been asked for Guarantee Money by another company in Xi'an called Xi'an Jiaguang Trading Co. Ltd.
                              same story I guess... :-(

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a lemon is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...