X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sha
    • Aug 2015

Landlord brought bedbugs

We moved into our apartment 4 months ago and noticed bed bugs 1 month ago. Our landlord wont hire an exterminator. She says it is our responsibility. She will only bomb which i have read is not very effective. She has told us that she has them too. She has been in the building working on other dwellings with her husband and live in son for the last 4 months. I believe she brought them in. What rights do i have in indiana?
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Landlord brought bedbugs

I wish to inform you that your agreement may determine your rights. In the absence of any specific clause to maintain premises you may inform landlord that it is his responsibility to maintain premises. You may argue that as you were not responsible for introducing bed bugs thus its duty of landlord to take steps to remove bed bugs. You may have to show that you were not responsible for bed bugs. If landlord refuses to take steps then you may file a lawsuit seeking compensation for loss suffered by you because of breach of duty by landlord.

AFF

Comment

• Friend In Court
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Apr 2011
      • United States

Originally posted by Sha
      We moved into our apartment 4 months ago and noticed bed bugs 1 month ago. Our landlord wont hire an exterminator. She says it is our responsibility. She will only bomb which i have read is not very effective. She has told us that she has them too. She has been in the building working on other dwellings with her husband and live in son for the last 4 months. I believe she brought them in. What rights do i have in indiana?
      The landlord has a duty to keep rental premises pest free -- no matter who brought them in. So if she does not cure the problem, which requires professional pest eradication and do so promptly, report to your local Health Department. They should come out, inspect and issue a correction notice to the landlord to clear the place of bed bugs by such and such a date, or else.

Comment

• Unregistered

Except for Vermin, landlords are not responsible for insects in California. Prolly the same in Indiana.

Comment

• Disagreeable
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Oct 2012
          • United States

Consult your lease.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Lexus
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Sep 2010
            • United States

First you need to check the maintenance clause in your lease agreement. If it provides that your LL is responsible for the bill of extermination you can make a claim on it. Generally LL’s are responsible for keeping the rental in an inhabitable manner. If your LL is negligent on your request for extermination you can contact a local attorney to see your options.

Comment

• Friend In Court
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Apr 2011
              • United States

Originally posted by Unregistered
              Except for Vermin, landlords are not responsible for insects in California. Prolly the same in Indiana.
              Roaches, termites, bedbugs are vermin. And in California landlords ARE responsible for eradicating them. See the definition of 'vermin': 'wild mammals and birds that are thought to carry disease' e.g. foxes, rodents and insect pests."

Comment

• MariaMertz
                • Jun 2016

I am really fed up of facing these problems. Its better to contact termite treatment folsom to get rid of termites problems, as suggested by my friend and he had a nice experience with them.

[link removed by admin]

Comment

• Disagreeable
                  Top Level Member
                  ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                  • Oct 2012
                  • United States

Are you so desperate for business, you must troll legal forums for it?
                  Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Burt

LOL
                    Especially a legal forum.

Comment

• MaxnD
                      • Jun 2018
                      • United States

You can try moving out because you did'nt have your own privacy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...