Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Traffic and Speeding Tickets

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
mksp
mksp's Flag is: United States

Default My daughter was picked up for speeding in Vermont.

Vermont

My daughter was picked up for speeding in Vermont. She was on a major highway late at night with very little traffic, in a hurry and did not realize how fast she was going but was going 92 in a 55 zone. She was given a ticket and the charge said careless and negligent. The fine says it is $388 and 2 point deducted from her license. It says if she sends the fine payment in and pleads "admitted" or "no contest" she does not need to appear in court. If she does not pay the fine she much appear in court and if found guilty will receive the penalty within the range for this type charge, which I believe could be much more than 2 points and 388 dollars. My question is, if she pays this, is that the end of it, or could they still make her come to court? What exactly is a charge of careless and negligent? Is it a misdemeanor or a normal speeding ticket? when I look online it looks like a normal speeding ticket for this many miles over would be an automatic suspension and higher fine
. I'm confused as to what this charge is, why they gave her this and not a normal speeding ticket, and if she should simply pay it or not. Please advise.
mksp is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: My daughter was picked up for speeding in Vermont.

There should be a statute number on her ticket.

Post it when you reply.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksp View Post
My daughter was picked up for speeding in Vermont.
That's usually how it's phrased when someone is arrested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksp View Post
She was on a major highway late at night with very little traffic, in a hurry and did not realize how fast she was going but was going 92 in a 55 zone.
Didn't realize? She was not paying enough attention to her driving. How old is she? Anyone with even a little experience should easily be able to tell the difference between 90 and 55 without having to look at the speedometer.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

All the variations include jail time. She needs a lawyer ASAP to represent her.
http://legislature.vermont.gov/statu...n/23/013/01091

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote